You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke Artifact

While using Affinity Designer in vector mode, I am having an issue where my Expand Stroke is irregular from the shape of the actual outline/stroke prior to “Expanding Stroke.” I am converting the text to Curves before Expanding Stroke but cannot get any resolution.

76DB5CEA-F3B0-4ED2-BC30-0EECA228DF16.png

ECDC245D-691B-48F1-B886-6346CFB18E6D.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Kerryfine. :)

2 hours ago, Kerryfine said:

While using Affinity Designer in vector mode,

I see that you’re actually using Affinity Designer 2, but I’d be surprised if version 1 behaved any differently.

2 hours ago, Kerryfine said:

I am having an issue where my Expand Stroke is irregular

What font are you using? Do you see a similar effect with other fonts? Try zooming in beforehand to see if you get a better result.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

48 minutes ago, MEB said:

Thanks for the file @Kerryfine
I'm seeing the same issue here and I'm logging the issue.

I know this issue was previously brought up here: 

is there any chance of a work around? Or way to just trace the outside of the font separately. I need to use the stroke path to “Shape Build”, removing that path from an underlying shape.

• Staff

Hi @Kerryfine
Yes, it's a known issue that happens with some frequency with text/fonts. I've asked for the file to add it to the existing log/report to be checked and tested against new builds. Regarding workarounds try scaling the test/letter up quite a bit a fixed value (enable Scale with Object in the Stroke panel first), expand the stroke, then scale the text/letter the same amount back down. It should expand the stroke properly while the text/letter is big.

15 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @Kerryfine
Yes, it's a known issue that happens with some frequency with text/fonts. I've asked for the file to add it to the existing log/report to be checked and tested against new builds. Regarding workarounds try scaling the test/letter up quite a bit a fixed value (enable Scale with Object in the Stroke panel first), expand the stroke, then scale the text/letter the same amount back down. It should expand the stroke properly while the text/letter is big.

AHA!! That did the trick. Thanks for the quick assistance and work around!