You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2: View rendering gets culled at certain zoom out level

1. What Application are you using? [Designer/Photo/Publisher]

Photo.

1. Are you using the latest release version?
    (here's how to check)

Yes. I'm using it in Trial mode.

1. Can you reproduce it?
    (if you cannot then we may struggle to also, making it even harder to fix)

Yes. Please see image and afphoto file attached.

1. Open the afphoto file.

2. Zoom out several times. At a certain zoom level, part of the image disappears (seems like due to sampling). See attached gif, too.

1. Does it happen for a new document? If not can you upload a document that shows the problem?

I've attached the afphoto file.

•    What is your operating system and version (Windows 11, OSX Ventura, iOS 16 etc)?

Windows 10.

•    Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ? (and have you tried the other setting?)

Hardware acceleration is ENABLED. I've also tried Disabling it, but it doesn't have any effect.

•    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)

The drawn lines that are disappearing are thin, but it it is reasonable to expect them to render. If I view this in XnView, for example, or other photo-editing software, I can see the lines. It's only in Affinity Photo that it disappears.

•    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)

No, this is my first trial of Photo.

Thank you for reading.

afphoto-view-clipping-1.gif

untitled.afphoto

Edited by faulknermano

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Rasterise, it should fix the render issues.

Alternatively, just change the position of the image.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Hi @MEB, thank you for passing the report on.

Firstly, rasterising works well; it solved the culling issue.

How did you created this pixel layer?

It was done in AFPhoto, but that had also been exported as PSD, and then re-imported back into AFPhoto as PSD.

Your suggestion about rasterising made me remember another that I had resized the afphoto document as I drew.

If I open the problematic afphoto file now, and then resize it to something like 8000x8000, the culling problem is solved, too. But I can't seem to reproduce step-by-step on how I got the document in this state.

At any rate, if the file contents themselves is not of help, I guess it's just one of those things. At least there is a method of recovering it and it's not a show stopper. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, MEB said:

Do you remember if the issue started after it being re-imported as PSD or was already behaving like this before that?

I can't remember precisely, but yes, it is most likely that it was *after* being re-imported as PSD, because I had been testing interoperability with PS at the time. I had not saved the document in afphoto format until I submitted the bug report.