You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP 2.4 quits while trying to initiate Shadows/Highlights adjustment from dropdown Filters menu

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I am working on a photo manipulation that has 6 layers, with each layer being a separate image.
When I was trying to initiate the Shadows/Highlights adjustment from the Filters dropdown menu to make adjustments on one layer the program would quit and I would get the error notification to send to Apple.

This has now happened 10 times, which is why I am posting it in the forum to see if this particular error has been encountered before.

I am running AP2.4 on a 2021 MacBook Pro Ventura.

The problem seems to be affecting only this one file because I tried the same adjustments with a Nikon D810 raw photo and had no problems.

The image I am working on is 7000 pixels square, 32bit HDR in ROMM RGB color.
As I mentioned, it is composed of 6 layers that have been rasterized.

The file is rather large at over 700 megabytes saved as an Affinity Photo Document.

I have worked on files much larger than this without a problem, so I am wondering if this has something to do with the number of active layers. The problem started when I added a 6th layer.

If this is a bug that is currently being addressed please let me know so that I can await the next update.

• Staff

Hi @DeepDesertPhoto,

Thanks for your report and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Unfortunately I'm unable to replicate this issue currently, so it may be specific to your document. Can you please upload a copy of your .afphoto file to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/NrlOZLHQcJIICwFAnO07

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know. Included in your reply, can you please attach a screenshot of your settings under Affinity Photo 2 > Settings > Performance?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @DeepDesertPhoto,

Unfortunately I'm unable to replicate this issue currently, so it may be specific to your document. Can you please upload a copy of your .afphoto file to the below link for me?

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know. Included in your reply, can you please attach a screenshot of your settings under Affinity Photo 2 > Settings > Performance?

Thanks for your response. I am in Arizona so there is a big timezone difference between us.
I just finished uploading the file in question to the DropBox link you posted.
Here are two screenshots.
The first screenshot shows the file open and the filter dropdown menu.
The Shadows/Highlights filter is highlighted.
When I click that to make an adjustment on the 5th layer, which you can see in the layers on the right, the program freezes and then quits after about a minute or so of the spinning rainbow wheel.
The adjustment window never does pop up.
The 2nd screenshot shows the error report that pops up after the program quit.
I clicked "Send to Apple" so you should get the details of that when Apple forwards it to you.
I've got to go out today, so I may not be able to reply further until later today or tomorrow morning, but hopefully you can solve this problem.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 6.58.24 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 7.02.27 AM.png

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @DeepDesertPhoto,

I almost forgot.
Here is a screenshot of the settings panel.
Except for the RAM usage, and the Disk usage warning, I have left everything at the default settings.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 7.14.45 AM.png

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm I'm seeing this same crashing behaviour on both Windows and macOS, it seems specific to this layer in your file - though I'm not 100% certain of the exact cause of this currently, therefore I will be logging this with our development team for further investigation.

In the meantime, if you select this Layer, then right-click in the Layers Studio and select Rasterise... you should then find you're able to use this Filter on the layer without the app crashing.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

31 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for providing that for me and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm I'm seeing this same crashing behaviour on both Windows and macOS, it seems specific to this layer in your file - though I'm not 100% certain of the exact cause of this currently, therefore I will be logging this with our development team for further investigation.

In the meantime, if you select this Layer, then right-click in the Layers Studio and select Rasterise... you should then find you're able to use this Filter on the layer without the app crashing.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks for getting back with me.
Actually, while I was waiting for your reply I also did some experiments to see if I could get around this crashing problem.
I found it was crashing with the other layers too. The only layer that did not cause a crash was the bottom (6th) layer.
As part of my experimentation I re-rasterized all 6 layers and that seemed to fix the problem.

Just to let you know, this also could be related to Affinity Designer.
This file was originally created using Affinity Designer, but I needed to do some work on it that could only be done with Affinity Photo. So I opened the original Designer file with Affinity Photo and resaved it as an .afphoto document.

I then reopened it with AP to continue my work and that is when the crashes started occurring.
It is only a theory, but maybe this is a compatibility issue between Designer and AP created files.
Perhaps the original file had coding in it from Designer that did not get properly converted when I resaved it as an AP document.
That could be something to investigate.
I'll let you know if I have any further issues.