You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Affinity Publisher v2) Unable to open large file on my ipad

•    Operating System and Version: iOS 17.2.1 / ipad pro 11-inch 2nd generation
  •    Issue at hand: 
    • Unable to edit, import or open a publisher file on my ipad. Originally, I created my file on my ipad, but once I started to get lagging issues, and the app started crashing (I'm assuming due to the file size.. It started lagging around 400 pages in) I continued to work on my project on my windows computer. I was able to complete everything I needed to on windows using the trial period, but I need to add hyperlinks to my pages now, which I would prefer to do on my ipad. Unfortunately, now that I'm trying to import the file back onto my ipad the file doesn't open and immediately crashes the app. 
    • The file is roughly a 900 page digital planner that I'm working on. 
  • Attached is a video of what Is occurring. Thanks.  

Perhaps updating to 17.4? A lot of bugs are solved. You could give it a try. You can also try to open the document in Designer. And look what error displays. At last, restart your iPad, and try again.

I have a similar issue. Publisher V2 is crashing when I try to work with my File. At least it is opening, but crashes after a couple of seconds. The cause could be that my Images are on full quality and I don’t know how to turn it back. Because I can’t work on my project by now. 

I am on a iPad Pro 11 inch (4th Generation) with iPad Os 17.2 and Publisher on Version 2.4. 

8 hours ago, pruus said:

Perhaps updating to 17.4? A lot of bugs are solved. You could give it a try. You can also try to open the document in Designer. And look what error displays. At last, restart your iPad, and try again.

Unfortunately, even after updating my ipad, I'm still having the same issues. Opening the file on designer also crashes the application..

A hard restart didn't work. Thanks for your suggestions. 

8 hours ago, Cloudfactory said:

I have a similar issue. Publisher V2 is crashing when I try to work with my File. At least it is opening, but crashes after a couple of seconds. The cause could be that my Images are on full quality and I don’t know how to turn it back. Because I can’t work on my project by now. 

I am on a iPad Pro 11 inch (4th Generation) with iPad Os 17.2 and Publisher on Version 2.4. 

Yup, I had that same issue when I had about 400 pages. I was able to scroll a couple pages but it crashed within 5 minutes. Now that I'm at almost 900 page, I can't even open the file! 

7 hours ago, User1773 said:

Yup, I had that same issue when I had about 400 pages. I was able to scroll a couple pages but it crashed within 5 minutes. Now that I'm at almost 900 page, I can't even open the file! 

Can you work on a new Project without Problems? Do you work in your 900 Page Project with pictures in full resolution? 

My Project is about 65 Pages with about 300 Pictures in full 24mp resolution. I would like to scale down the quality of the resources, but I don’t know how. 

Maybe I try a workaround with InDesign. 

• Staff

Welcome to the forums @User1773,

It's possible that you are running into the Hardware/memory limitations of your iPad, 400+ pages is certainly a large document and if you've now reached 900 and also included images and embedded resources this will put more strain on the device. We do generally suggest closing all background apps running on your iPad but you've likely reached a point where this is irrelevant due to the sheer size of the document. If you could provide the document this will help confirm if this is the case, I've provided an upload link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/vFTxQ6lifuFuHRw7ZMOF

----

Welcome to the forums @Cloudfactory,

I'd start with just rebooting your iPad and clearing the background apps active to confirm if that allows you to work in the document, and if not feel free to upload it to the link below and I'll take a look.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/fbSBnz9XvDqb89ihw577

4 minutes ago, NathanC said:

It's possible that you are running into the Hardware/memory limitations of your iPad, 400+ pages is certainly a large document and if you've now reached 900 and also included images and embedded resources this will put more strain on the device. We do generally suggest closing all background apps running on your iPad but you've likely reached a point where this is irrelevant due to the sheer size of the document. If you could provide the document this will help confirm if this is the case, I've provided an upload link below.

----

I'd start with just rebooting your iPad and clearing the background apps active to confirm if that allows you to work in the document, and if not feel free to upload it to the link below and I'll take a look.

Thanks for your reply! I already cleared all background apps and rebooted in several ways. I am going to upload the File. Do you need the resources as well? What do you need, to recreate this behavior?

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Cloudfactory said:

Thanks for your reply! I already cleared all background apps and rebooted in several ways. I am going to upload the File. Do you need the resources as well? What do you need, to recreate this behavior?

If you could send the file over in addition to the external resources used that would be best.

Many thanks!

12 hours ago, NathanC said:

----

I also uploaded my file. 

• Staff
6 hours ago, User1773 said:

I also uploaded my file. 

Thanks, i've taken a look and this does look like file has reached a point where it's memory usage far exceeds the RAM capacity of the iPad Pro Gen 2 (4GB) due to the number of objects and pages. I can open the file without any issues on a Gen 5 iPad Air (8GB) and on both iPad and Desktop, but the memory quickly reaches around 8GB~ on Windows/Mac and the file is not openable on a iPad pro Gen 1 (4GB).

I think you'll need to split this file down on desktop in order to open it on your iPad.

On 3/5/2024 at 3:13 PM, NathanC said:

If you could send the file over in addition to the external resources used that would be best.

Many thanks!

Sorry for my late response. But I have uploaded die afpub File. Because it is about 5GB. I did not upload the sources of the Pictures. If you need them for any further research, just let me know. 

Much thanks! 

On 3/6/2024 at 10:07 AM, NathanC said:

Thanks, i've taken a look and this does look like file has reached a point where it's memory usage far exceeds the RAM capacity of the iPad Pro Gen 2 (4GB) due to the number of objects and pages. I can open the file without any issues on a Gen 5 iPad Air (8GB) and on both iPad and Desktop, but the memory quickly reaches around 8GB~ on Windows/Mac and the file is not openable on a iPad pro Gen 1 (4GB).

I think you'll need to split this file down on desktop in order to open it on your iPad.

Hi, you have any news on this issue?

• Staff

Hi @Cloudfactory,

I've opened your file on Desktop and similar to the OP's file it far exceeds the available memory of a Gen 4 iPad Pro (8GB) as after it finishes loading it's using around 16GB of RAM on Windows/Mac. While you don't have nearly as many pages the significant number of high-res high DPI image layers that have been placed on each page have contributed towards this high memory usage which the iPad evidently can't keep up with, so similarly the file certainly needs splitting down to be workable on iPad.

I've split your document down into three .afpubs on Desktop using the 'Add pages from file' function (Unfortunately this function isn't available on iPad currently), to which i'm now able to keep all three files open for editing on iPad without any subsequent problems, I've PM'd you a link to the now split file.

9 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @Cloudfactory,

I've opened your file on Desktop and similar to the OP's file it far exceeds the available memory of a Gen 4 iPad Pro (8GB) as after it finishes loading it's using around 16GB of RAM on Windows/Mac. While you don't have nearly as many pages the significant number of high-res high DPI image layers that have been placed on each page have contributed towards this high memory usage which the iPad evidently can't keep up with, so similarly the file certainly needs splitting down to be workable on iPad.

I've split your document down into three .afpubs on Desktop using the 'Add pages from file' function (Unfortunately this function isn't available on iPad currently), to which i'm now able to keep all three files open for editing on iPad without any subsequent problems, I've PM'd you a link to the now split file.

Is there a possibility to work with images that are scaled down to have a better performance? I know this feature from Adobe InDesign but couldn’t find anything like that on the iPad Version. This would be really nice, if I am able to have max 100 Pages with max 400 Pictures. That would be the maximum specs I work with. 

And thank you very much for your help!

• Staff
On 3/19/2024 at 7:14 PM, Cloudfactory said:

Is there a possibility to work with images that are scaled down to have a better performance? I know this feature from Adobe InDesign but couldn’t find anything like that on the iPad Version. This would be really nice, if I am able to have max 100 Pages with max 400 Pictures. That would be the maximum specs I work with. 

And thank you very much for your help!

No Problem, not that I'm aware of currently unfortunately, image layers retain all their original data such as the resolution and colour space so you'd have to scale those images down before placing them in Publisher. You could also rasterise your images to pixel layers, but this will severely affect the quality of the images since they're rasterised at the Document DPI.