You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Subtracting from shape doesn't work in Gran Turismo 7

Hello.

Just to start with, I am by no means anything close to a graphic designer, but I do meddle.

I mainly (read: only) use this software to create .svg vectors to upload to the Gran Turismo website to use in the game to make race car liveries.
This in itself is pretty limiting as the maximum file size is 15kb so often I have to create multiple files to make one image in the game, but that's a limitation of the game, not the software.

However, I've been having this recurrent issue;
Every time I create a vector and use the subtract function, the subtract function works in my PC, on the web and even on the Gran Turismo website it looks like I want it to. But in the game, the part the I subtracted is not subracted.

I have used other software and this doesn't happen with that.

Please see attached images of what I mean.

Do you have any ideas of what I can do to prevent this from happening?Screenshot2024-02-24014900.png.65e8e43660d6ec06220319368e7d177b.png

20240224_012644474_iOS.jpg

Edited by Dr.Jay

Have you tried holding down the Option/Alt key when you click the subtract geometry icon, this creates a compound shape, export and see if the shape maintains the hole.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Perhaps the direction of the curve matters, as it does when constructing fonts. In the attached file, the direction of one of the coloured shapes is reversed. Try subtracting the red shape from the black shape underneath it, and (separately) do the same for the green shape.

I used the freeware font Bicubik for this because I happened to have it available, but that’s obviously unimportant for the ‘Curve’ objects.

GT-weirdness.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

First of all, thanks for the replies.

@firstdefence I tried creating a compound shape and that unfortunately did not work, no change in the game itself from doing that.

@Alfred I opened up your file and subtracted both the green and red shapes, then exported to .svg and uploaded to GT7.

The one with the red shape subtracted appeared correctly in the game while the one with the green shape subtracted shows up with the green colour subtracted but it's more like the shape has been simply deleted and not subtracted. So you are correct on the curve direction, that does seem to be the reason. The font doesn't show up in the game because the game doesn't recognize it, I always have to convert text to curves if I want it to show up and I forgot to do so in this case.

Could you explain to me what the difference between the two shapes you made was? I am not sure what you mean by "direction of the curves"

Thanks.

20240224_164214756_iOS.jpg

39 minutes ago, Dr.Jay said:

Could you explain to me what the difference between the two shapes you made was? I am not sure what you mean by "direction of the curves"

Any curve can be drawn either clockwise or counterclockwise. If you have a clockwise curve inside another clockwise curve, the result of subtracting the inner curve from the outer one can sometimes differ (as you’ve seen!) from the result that you get if the inner curve is counterclockwise.

A closed curve has coincident start and end nodes, so if you want to understand what’s happening it’s easier to see with an unclosed curve. Try drawing a C-shaped curve instead of a round-cornered rectangle and select it with the Node Tool. You’ll see a red node (the end node) and if you press the ‘Reverse’ button on the Context toolbar the red indicator will jump to the other end of the curve.

Alfred spacer.png

18 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Any curve can be drawn either clockwise or counterclockwise. If you have a clockwise curve inside another clockwise curve, the result of subtracting the inner curve from the outer one can sometimes differ (as you’ve seen!) from the result that you get if the inner curve is counterclockwise.

A closed curve has coincident start and end nodes, so if you want to understand what’s happening it easier to see with an unclosed curve. Try drawing a C-shaped curve instead of a round-cornered rectangle and select it with the Node Tool. You’ll see a red node (the end node) and if you press the ‘Reverse’ button on the Context toolbar the red indicator will jump to the other end of the curve.

Thank you so much! I am literally mind blown that the solution was simply to draw the shape the other way around!

I tried doing that to my logo and re-uploaded it to GT7 and it worked.

This knowledge will genuinely help me out so much in the future. Again, thank you so much :)

20240224_173149624_iOS.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dr.Jay said:

Thank you so much! I am literally mind blown that the solution was simply to draw the shape the other way around!

I tried doing that to my logo and re-uploaded it to GT7 and it worked.

Good to know! I’m glad I was able to help.

Alfred spacer.png