You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP2 (and AP1) keep crashing Windows 10 and 11

Dear team and members of the forum, please help!

Every time that I use the Affinity Publisher 2 on my computer it keeps crashing. I have used the Affinity Publisher version 1 without a problem, but it started crashing when triggering several functionalities (as saving, exporting, fonts, etc) with the updates after that. Totally useless. So, I upgraded to version 2 with hope to stop the problem, but I am facing the same problem, especially when activating the undo function. Probably I will find more problems with this version as well, but I am so tired of not being able to work with affinity that I need some proper help.

Here is a video where I explain the problem, but for some reason loom didnt record the crash itself. I frost the last image of the app before it happen. https://www.loom.com/share/7ce06c640cca4118a6cd5b25136515ad?sid=8210f06d-017b-4610-b4cd-13ad1f117247

Here is what I have tried already:

- I am using the new version of AP2 - 2.3.1 (I have installed it yesterday), despite I have crashing problem with APV1 (except when I used the version 1.10.4, but it doesnt have the features that I need)

- Turned off the first three option when clicked the ctrl key during the launch,

- Hardware acceleration was already turned off

- Unistalled all problematic updates in windows 10 and 11 identified in other posts of this forum. Now, I have basically none windows update, what is not safe at all, right?

- I installed the last version of .NET (8.0) from the link you have provided above

- I checked the firewall but it seems that it is not blocking the app.

- I have no idea what to do now.

Please, help! I upgraded to AP version 2 to see if I could stop the crashes, but I cannot work at all with it as well.

Please, find attached the crash reports

p.s: bare in mind when send some support that I dont understand nothing about coding or technical computer stuff. So, I appreciate to send instructions in the more clear way you can.

Thank you in advance

356307cc-ccde-42d5-bc95-78e3e9589171.dmp 7457a752-8ce7-4e7f-af4a-e109174e0bcb.dmp aaf74613-4e03-4453-ae7d-7de52a2f7d47.dmp ff6236d2-803c-4f38-be08-aa7d0d081dca.dmp 76f65e27-db91-48c6-a51a-5bc26c7616b9.dmp a62af3fe-2109-40ff-8443-454c1a8069ca.dmp

• Staff

Hi @TSW,

Thanks for your report and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please confirm for me, do these crashes happen within any document, or only the one shown in your recording? If only in this file, are you able to attach a copy of this here for me? (If you'd like a private upload link, please don't hesitate to ask)

18 hours ago, TSW said:

- Unistalled all problematic updates in windows 10 and 11 identified in other posts of this forum. Now, I have basically none windows update, what is not safe at all, right?

Our team aren't aware of any known issues with the very latest Windows 10/11 updates as far as I'm aware - I'd always recommend having the most up to date version of Windows installed, both for the best security of your system and for the best performance in Affinity.

Can you please open Publisher and navigate to Edit > Settings > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Can you also please confirm how much free disk space is available on your main OS drive? (This is usually labeled the "C:\" drive by default on Windows)

Many thanks in advance :)

I keep having the same issue. Program AP2 crashes after transferring TIFF files from DXOPhotolab6, sometimes it crashes after only a couple of files are transferred and sometimes after more than ten files are transferred, the program just freezes up. There was an update recently to AP2 which I was hopping would resolve this issue, but it is still there.

In regards to my PC, it's a brand new desktop with plenty of ram 64GB and plenty of HD space, C drive has a 2 TB SSD with 1.6 TB free space, and 4 TB SSD on the second drive.

Hi Dan, thank you for your reply! I saw this post about the updates that could have created problems:

But after your feedback I am updating windows again to the last version

It seems that I have only 31% of the drive space in use (See attach)

I tested with four documents. Two present the same problem when I tried to undo the change on the dimensions. But the other two didn't show any problem. You can assess the problematic documents through the following link (the link will be valid just for 24 hours and it has a cap for one download each doc): https://icedrive.net/s/Xhvzj8V6Tg9zwB31WPhGX9jyNWuk

I am also attaching the settings you requested.

Thank you for help me with that!

P.S: do you have any information about why the affinity publisher 1 crash with windows regarding fonts, saving, exporting, etc after the 1.10.4 or 1.10.6 updates?

Screenshot (77).png

Screenshot (78).png

Screenshot (79).png

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response here!

@cybertec69, the issue described in your post sounds different from that being reported in this thread - can you please create a new post, providing all the information regarding your issue so that a member of our team can assist further?

@TSW, thanks for confirming that for me & apologies for the delayed response. Can you please upload your documents to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/63lLqoBx6nSok90FJ9YH

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know.

Your crash reports provided show me that McAffe is accessing the Affinity app whilst running, which may be causing issues, but is hard to be certain. I'd recommend adding Affinity to the whitelist for McAffe, as this may reduce the crashing you're seeing.

Secondly, I can see that the driver in use for your Vega 8 GPU is from September 2022 and outdated GPU drivers can cause issues with Affinity.
Please visit AMDs website from the below link to download the latest drivers for your device -

https://www.amd.com/support

Thirdly, your Performance dialog shows me that your RAM usage limit is set below the amount of memory in your system. You can increase this slider in-app to 8192MB, if you want the app to access all 8GBs of your available system RAM.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:12 PM, TSW said:

P.S: do you have any information about why the affinity publisher 1 crash with windows regarding fonts, saving, exporting, etc after the 1.10.4 or 1.10.6 updates?

It appears as though the reports you've provided are all for V2 - so I can't be certain regarding this. Provided you are running 1.10.6 the app shouldn't crash when searching/navigating through fonts, and of course should never crash when saving or exporting.

Your Windows Event Viewer might have more information regarding these crashes, to generate this report please:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.  

Many thanks once again :)

@Dan C Thank you for your reply! Here is my feedback:

1. I have changed the antivirus two days ago to Norton and I have check if it is blocking the app, but it is not. Same before with the previous anti-virus

2. I updated the GPU driver following your recommendations

3. I extended the RAM usage limit to the max as well inside the settings - performance

4. Even after all of this, the problem is the same

5. I unistalled the AP 1.10.4 (the one that seems to be working) and installed the Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 again once I have stopped using it for while. I didn't have time to test it properly, but it seems to be working well, except that even using an Affinity Publisher V1 document, I tested the same thing I did when using the version 2 (as described in my video - first post) and for my surprise the version 1 shown the exactly same problem. 

6. I uploaded in your dropbox file the following:

- The affinity publisher version 2 documents with the crash problem previously described

- The affinity publisher version 1 document has the same problem when used on the AF 1.10.6

- The .evtx file requested

- and I tried to generate a crash report of the AF 1.10.6 founded today, but it seems not be generated. So, I uploaded all the crash reports that were generated from AF version 1.

Hope it helps

Thank you in advance

• Staff

Many thanks for trying that for me and for the files provided!

I can confirm that I'm not seeing the crash when undoing in either the V1 or V2 documents - your v1.10.4 crash reports provided appear very similar to the v2 reports previously uploaded. I can see that 'megasync' is hooked into the Affinity apps, though I would be surprised if this is causing the crashing as I don't see the same app in the V2 report.

I can see in your Event Viewer log that 'ensserver.exe' (part of EaseUS) is crashing often, but equally I don't believe this to be part of the cause of your crash, though you might want to be aware of this.

There is 1 crash I can see from Affinity in your Event Viewer Log, which appears to be a .NET crash. I'd therefore like to try the .NET repair tool from Microsoft, to see if this stops the issue -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Please do let me know if this helps :)

@Dan C thank you! I installed and authorised the recommendations from the repair tool. It is asking to reinstall the .net framework. Sorry my ignorance, but it is the one you have indicated before, the .net 8.0 version? I don't understand much about it

IMG_20240228_143450.jpg

IMG_20240228_143430.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for providing these - this indicates the tool has completed the repairs successfully.

The suggestion regarding reinstalling is a generic one from Microsoft, as this tool is usually run when .NET is failing to install, but can also be used when .NET is crashing.

You can close this dialog and ignore the suggestion to uninstall/reinstall .NET - has this improved the stability of Affinity on your system please? :)

@Dan C

I just tested the same documents in the new Affinity Publisher version (2.4) and they both worked well. So, not sure if it was the .NET fix that solved because I tested on the 2.3 after the fix and didnt work, but hopefully it will keep working from now on. Thank you very much for your help! I will let you know if any issue shows up. Appreciate your help