You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How would I create a colour gradient around a central clear oval shape?

I'm gonna start by apologising, I am not gifted at illustration, digital or otherwise!

I need to create a colour gradient like the photo I've attached - transparent centre in an oval shape, with a gentle gradient going out on all sides.

How would I do that please? I got the shape cut out ok, but I couldn't get the right style of gradient pattern so that the colours looked like this all the way around.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciated, thank you!

Oval Gradient.jpg

• Staff

Hi @nataliemckinstry,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Check the attached file. Is this what you are looking for? Select the shape then switch to the Gradient Tool. You should see the tool handles over the shape with the color spots positioned accordingly to get the effect you wish (I believe). What application are you using to create it? Designer, Photo?
gradient.afdesign

Hi, thank you - that is exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately it turns out there's another version of Affinity I didn't know existed, so I can't open the file you sent. I'm not sure I entirely understand what you mean either, sorry!

I have been drawing a rectangle and an oval shape on a transparent background, using the Xor tool to remove the oval, then applying the gradient to the remaining rectangle-with-an-oval-missing-in-the-middle. I'm still getting a weird linear gradient on the rectangle. The other versions of gradients (elliptical, conical etc) don't look any better either.

Is it an I'm using an old version issue, or is it an I'm not choosing the right options issue?

Thank you for your patience - I know this software could do an awful lot more for me if only I had any idea how to use it.

Oval Gradient Test.afdesign

8 minutes ago, nataliemckinstry said:

Is it an I'm using an old version issue, or is it an I'm not choosing the right options issue?

Try this it is for version 1 of designer

oval Gradient version 1.afdesign

On the context toolbar there is a dropdown menu for choosing different types of gradients.

ScreenShot2024-02-21at8_39_31AM.png.a998343907b2190dff69a37d2bfddffa.png

ScreenShot2024-02-21at8_39_22AM.png.0513f1833268dd5e8b7da3b18b84741f.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @nataliemckinstry,
I'm sorry, I forgot I'm using an internal build not the release version. Here's the fixed file: gradient_fixed.afdesign
Regarding the file you attached you only have to change the type of gradient to Elliptical in the context toolbar with the Gradient Tool selected. Click over the gradient axis to add more color stops (only one of them lets you add colors clicking on it so if the one you are trying don't add colors click on the other - the cursor should show an additional "+" icon while you are hovering it for the correct axis), then adjust the center of the the gradient using snapping to make it match the center of the shape.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

On the context toolbar there is a dropdown menu for choosing different types of gradients.

Thank you, I've been trying all of them, but it still looks like the photo here.

It's absolutely perfect when I look at your file! I'm not sure what I've done wrong in reproducing it.

Really appreciate it.

Elliptical Gradient.jpg

1 minute ago, nataliemckinstry said:

It's absolutely perfect when I look at your file! I'm not sure what I've done wrong in reproducing it.

Pretty sure you need to have the Gradient tool selected and your Curves layer selected.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Success! I had absolutely no idea I had to click a separate button on the LHS as well as changing the fill. When you click the right button it's pretty straightforward!

As I said - I know I could do a lot more if I knew how to use the thing properly.

Really appreciate it, thank you both very much for your patience!