You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer is unusable for me.

It started a few days ago but has now stopped me from being able to do any work. No matter what file I open, the first time I attempt to move anything or place anything new, the CPU usage rises and nothing happens. Sometimes, a very few amount of the total times, it will finally do what I wanted after 5-10 minutes, but then the next thing I attempt does the exact same thing and that time it will just force me to exit. I am using Windows 11 with all updates and also the latest version of Designer. I have changed the performance settings to not use hardware acceleration and then changed it back with no differences. 

574f64c4-d37a-4ec6-b72e-f4ae2ca3eb07.dmp 8237515c-00eb-4773-b2f4-e54500f22267.dmp dce286da-fd0d-40f5-8e25-af9ed6d495a7.dmp fc4db4c3-4a37-478f-9503-1821265c3f4b.dmp

...same here since V2.
V1 works always fine, also on windows 10 and 11 until today. 

But V2 starts very very slow - up to 3 minutes - and it always freezes from time to time using fonts or moving an object or layer...

it is totally frustrating that the Affinity guys knowing this issue, but do not adress or fix it yet... :(

• Staff

Hi @toddabareand Welcome to the Forums,

Your crash reports all point to a crash with libraster.dll which is mainly used when rendering things on the canvas.  What graphics card do you have?  It would be worth doing a clean install of your graphics card drivers using the DDU app which will allow you to perform a clean install on them and then see if you have the same trouble with Affinity.

@HofnaarYour issue sounds a bit different from @toddabare, are you just getting a freeze for a few seconds and then Designer comes back?  Or does the app completely freeze and you need to use Task Manager to shut Affinity down?

39 minutes ago, stokerg said:

@HofnaarYour issue sounds a bit different from @toddabare, are you just getting a freeze for a few seconds and then Designer comes back?  Or does the app completely freeze and you need to use Task Manager to shut Affinity down?

freeze and comeback all the time. Since 2.3.1 it is a bit better since 2.3.1, but the very slow start up time and the constantly randomly freeze when using the fonts or any other tools is frustrating.