You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo RAW workflows

Hi there,

I use Apple Photos to import all the RAW files from my camera, and then the Affinity Photo extension to individually edit those RAW files in Develop persona. I also have my lifetime JPEG collection in Apple Photo, which is why I'm keen to find a workflow.

This is a limited workflow, in that you can't do batch processing (the Affinity / Apple Photo extension only lets you edit one image at a time). I'm curious how other photographers manage their RAW libraries with Affinity? Do you:

• Still use Apple Photos for RAW management and accept that you have to edit each image individually.
  • Use another Digital Asset Management (DAM) product to just manage your RAW files (especially for batch edits of lots of photos), then maybe import the edited JPEGs into Apple Photos?
  • Ditch Apple Photos in favour of another DAM and manage things in a different way?

Cheers,

Zac

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 16.01.32.png

2 minutes ago, Zac44 said:

... you can't do batch processing (the Affinity / Apple Photo extension only lets you edit one image at a time). I'm curious how other photographers manage their RAW libraries with Affinity?

The way I work is to ignore Apple's Photo application. I think my Apple Photo library has one picture in it. My external hard drive that holds my photos has over ten thousand raw files on it. Then there are the thousands of TIFFs, and Affinity documents on it as well.

If I were you I would seriously consider using Affinity Photo's ability to record a Macro for Developing raw files that require the same raw settings and applying that macro to the remaining raw files via a File > New Batch Job... . Save as an .afphoto file or TIFF or whatever type you want.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The way I work is to ignore Apple's Photo application. I think my Apple Photo library has one picture in it. My external hard drive that holds my photos has over ten thousand raw files on it. Then there are the thousands of TIFFs, and Affinity documents on it as well.

If I were you I would seriously consider using Affinity Photo's ability to record a Macro for Developing raw files that require the same raw settings and applying that macro to the remaining raw files via a File > New Batch Job... . Save as an .afphoto file or TIFF or whatever type you want.

Thanks @Old Bruce. Do you use a particular DAM software in that case or are you just using folders and files?

28 minutes ago, Zac44 said:

just using folders and files

I have been doing this for a couple of decades.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.