You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with the continuity of footnote numbering

Hi, I'm preparing a text for printing. I have traditional footnotes at the bottom of the page, but I also have footnotes within captions below the images, which are text frames within the main content. In the latter case, Publisher doesn't continue the numbering of footnotes; instead, it starts anew and places the footnote below the image rather than at the end of the page. Is there a way to set up footnotes so that the continuity of numbering and the location of footnotes on the page are maintained, regardless of whether they are placed within the main content or in text frames?

Best regards

Hi, using the Notes panel, you need to set Numbering > Restart Every to Document for all of the footnotes.

You can do this by removing the text cursor from a text frame (click on a blank area of the page) and then changing the setting while Document-wide is selected. If the footnotes don't all change to sequential numbers then some of them are not document-wide. You could fix that by choosing Revert All Footnotes to Document Settings from the panel menu.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Alright, the issue with footnote numbering continuity has been resolved, but the footnote is still attached to the image caption instead of being at the bottom of the page. Also, when switching to Document-wide > Numbering > Document, the text that was in the right column disappeared and ended up on the next page. What's going on?

Cheers

screen1.jpg

It depends how you constructed the image caption but if the footnote is appearing below the caption instead of at the bottom of the column or frame then I suspect you've created the caption as a text frame that is pinned inline below the image. If that's what you've done then you'll need to cut the text out of that frame, delete the frame,  and paste the caption text into the main story below the pinned inline image. The caption should be typed the same as body text, just formatted with a caption text style.

I have a lot of images like yours in one of the books I'm writing. The key to doing this is to set "Paragraph > Flow Options > Keep With Previous Paragraph" in the caption paragraph style to ensure the caption is "attached" to the image it's describing.

Good luck

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

Thank you, @MikeTo, for all the advice. You're always there for me. I'll try to put it together as best as I can, but I think an option for absolute positioning of footnotes (as per their name) in Publisher would be simpler, more natural, and more useful. I hope it will be introduced over time. Best regards

1 hour ago, Tulimord said:

Thank you, @MikeTo, for all the advice. You're always there for me. I'll try to put it together as best as I can, but I think an option for absolute positioning of footnotes (as per their name) in Publisher would be simpler, more natural, and more useful. I hope it will be introduced over time. Best regards

It's trickier than you might think to do that. Imagine a document with a text frame (#1) with a footnote, that is pinned inside a cell (#2) of a table (#3), which is pinned inside a text frame (#4).

You're asking for all footnotes to be inside text frame #4 but maybe the user wants the footnote to be attached to the table #3 or perhaps even the table cell #2. To provide this flexibility Publisher would probably need a Note Position Level option. I'm confused just thinking about it. 🙂 

53 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

It's trickier than you might think to do that. Imagine a document with a text frame (#1) with a footnote, that is pinned inside a cell (#2) of a table (#3), which is pinned inside a text frame (#4).

You're asking for all footnotes to be inside text frame #4 but maybe the user wants the footnote to be attached to the table #3 or perhaps even the table cell #2. To provide this flexibility Publisher would probably need a Note Position Level option. I'm confused just thinking about it.

Ah, this relativism! 😁 And all I want is just a bit of literalness. A footnote is a footnote. Absolute positioning as an option isn't anything special. I don't know how it's technically solved in InDesign, but I've been working on it for years and haven't had these kinds of dilemmas. I always created and grouped text frames for captions with images because it's essentially one element of the page structure - it's also easier to move it around when creating layout compositions. Embedding captions in content and locally changing the style is a risky operation. Unless you have a fixed layout. The existence of many positioning options (including those currently available in AP) would only demonstrate Publisher's flexibility and quality.