You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 2 IPad : Touch screen short cut for saving?

Hello,
Is there a shortcut for saving whilst working on a document (WITHOUT the keyboard)? Relying on the autosave function isn’t the safest option and constantly having to exit the document to select save is extremely time consuming. Can I make a save icon appear like the visibility for the undo and trash icon?

It maybe an oldschool habit to be constantly manually saving every two minutes but it is the safest and most reliable.

:) Thanks for any tips, suggestions or the actual way to do it on an ipad directly on the screen without the keyboard.

No, there isn't. You have to return to Live Docs if you don't have a keyboard. Even with a keyboard, you should return to Live Docs, as you can't be sure that the Save was performed if you try to use Cmd+S from within the document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

:( that is disappointing.

Why shouldn’t I be sure that cmd+s worked with the keyboard ? It displays the message <document saved>when I use that keyboard shortcut. Have you had an issue with that before? 🤔

Sorry. I had forgotten it issues that message. 

I still would not trust it. There's a reason they removed Saving from the document menu within the document, and I think they just forgot to remove the shortcut.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Good hint! The whole saving philosophy has to get more handy!!! We are not nuts! Let us do what we want, not what the developers think we should. If we make mistakes it’s our responsibility… 

Ipad: >>> And make it possible to find our work in progress within a decent folder - not hidden folder to share it between ipad and OSX without the boring path over external clouds etc!!! At least as an optional workflow! Thx 🙏🙏🙏

42 minutes ago, gsax said:

Ipad: >>> And make it possible to find our work in progress within a decent folder - not hidden folder

As another user here has said, Live Docs is kind of like having documents open in tabs in the Desktop apps. The data is only available in that app, on that machine, unless/until you manually Save it into the real file system. And until you've saved it, it's at risk for being lost, too.

-- Walt
PC:

Ipad:::: Yes, as i pointed out before: it’s okey BUT why don’t save the ongoing work directly on the internal iOS-affinity-folder, so sharing between ipad and OSX would be much easier for instance by airdrop! Now we are forced as far as i see to do a detour over icloud etc. 
again: it’s in the user’s responsibility to be organised in a decent way. At least as an option to select: realtime save to affinity folder or into the hidden part of internal storage!

2 hours ago, gsax said:

Ipad:::: Yes, as i pointed out before: it’s okey BUT why don’t save the ongoing work directly on the internal iOS-affinity-folder, so sharing between ipad and OSX would be much easier for instance by airdrop! Now we are forced as far as i see to do a detour over icloud etc. 
again: it’s in the user’s responsibility to be organised in a decent way. At least as an option to select: realtime save to affinity folder or into the hidden part of internal storage!

The Affinity folder you mention is on iCloud, of course. And once you've Saved a file there, it's simple to return to Live Docs and Save it again.

-- Walt
PC:

There is a  default affinity folder on iPad’s internal memory Called “Affinity Designer” which today only contains log files. this one(!) could be used the way I explained it before. Why not? 

34 minutes ago, gsax said:

There is a  default affinity folder on iPad’s internal memory Called “Affinity Designer” which today only contains log files. this one(!) could be used the way I explained it before. Why not? 

Because it wouldn't allow sharing with macOS, which is another thing you want it to do.

-- Walt
PC:

Thx, yes, but why not? AirDrop would be perfect to select all my actual work(in progress) and transfer it directly to AD2 on my osx mac. Sorry to steal your time with this subject… 🙏

But that only works if your iPad and Mac are in proximity, and in any case requires another action on your part to transfer the files. And then you have them in two locations, where they will get out of synch.

Saving them in a folder in iCloud (or other Cloud service) can avoid that (though, saving in a cloud-based folder is often not recommended, as that can cause problems, too).

Really, do what works best for you, but you do need to Save the files. They are not automatically saved in an accessible folder today, and the format used in Live Docs is (as far as I know) not a format that would be understood outside that context. It is more like the autosave files on the Desktop than true Affinity files.

-- Walt
PC: