You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1. File → Edit in Publisher
  2. add a table and set it up to your liking
  3. File → Edit in Designer
  4. voilà

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

12 minutes ago, loukash said:
  1. File → Edit in Publisher
  2. add a table and set it up to your liking
  3. File → Edit in Designer
  4. voilà

As far as you have Afpub too, otherwise ... 🤔

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

As far as you have Afpub too

Sure. Because Publisher is your "Advanced Typography Plugin for Affinity Designer". 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

53 minutes ago, loukash said:

Sure. Because Publisher is your "Advanced Typography Plugin for Affinity Designer". 

Though there are actually also other workarounds possible, like ...

table.png.182949bd95f20f33764d2377890ecbcb.png

... or creating tables with some other third-party tool/app and then exporting (or copy/pasting) these as SVG/PDF then for reuse in ADe.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

there are actually also other workarounds possible, like ...

… the «20th Century Old School Method»:

ade_fake_table.png.f66efcbc1579d214e379a79f13c0005e.png

All just standard ASCII characters with some minor Character Positioning And Transform voodoo.
If you assign character and paragraph styles with keyboard shortcuts to each element, you can build up a table quickly as you type.

It would be surely easier to set up if ADe also had Paragraph Decorations or the Text Frame panel, but that's also part of the "Advanced Typography Plugin" called Affinity Publisher. After all, feature availability is about product marketing. People who actually understand design should understand that marketing is also a major part of a product. ;) 

1 hour ago, loukash said:

All just standard ASCII characters with some minor Character Positioning And Transform voodoo.

I use that oldschool stuff via (n)curses still for CLI based terminal tools. 😉

If you have Publisher and prefer to stay in Designer most of the time, consider creating an empty table of a reasonable size in Publisher then saving it as an asset in Designer so you can drag it into a document then tweak it from there.

Thanks everyone that replied! I knew about publisher, but I hadn’t gotten around to actually using it yet. I’m also kind of lazy and was just hoping it could be a simple thing to just add to designer.

P.S. Martinet, please only add stuff if it has to do with the conversation. You’ve been reported.

4 hours ago, Aritstrybycg said:

I knew about publisher, but I hadn’t gotten around to actually using it yet

One of the best things – the "killer feature" – about the Affinity suite is the "StudioLink": stay in Publisher and just switch between its three personae to have all features in one app.

16 hours ago, loukash said:

stay in Publisher and just switch between its three personae to have all features in one app.

Except that you don't.

Publisher does not give you access to the Liquify, Tone Mapping or Export personas, even if you own the other two apps.

It doesn't give you access to the Pixel persona either, but if you own Photo, that one isn't exactly much of a loss given access to the Photo persona.

3 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Publisher does not give you access to […]

I know that and you know that. 
But that's not necessarily my point here when I deliberately wanted to simplify things while @Aritstrybycg mentioned that they "knew about publisher, but […] hadn’t gotten around to actually using it yet".

In other words: taking small steps at a time, and looking at the big picture first.