You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error in PDF output

Die Bildkästen in der Publisher-Datei berühren sich mit den Ecken. In der PDF-Ausgabe entsteht entweder eine Lücke oder sogar Pixelfehler. Bitte dringend beheben.

The image boxes in the publisher file touch with the corners. There is either a gap or even pixel errors in the PDF output. Please fix it urgently.

Flyer KlosterIrsee Din lang - 2024.afpub Flyer KlosterIrsee Din lang - 2024.pdf

• Staff

Hi @Grizeto,

The corner aligned images in your .afpub occupy partial pixels. The image dimensions get rounded on export to whole pixels which will likely be causing these gaps and additional pixels to appear.

In Publisher under settings > User Interface set the visible decimal place for 'Pixels' to 1 and then set your document unit of measurement to 'Pixels' you can then remove the decimal value from the images X/Y/W/H so they occupy Whole pixels and then re-align the corners again, on export this prevents the rounding and the images are still corner/edge aligned.

I've attached the PDF file where i've already done this in the .afpub for reference, the images are blurred since I don't have the linked resources used.

no partial pixel images.pdf

Hi @Grizeto and @NathanC

The issue actually appears to be caused by the Unsharp Mask Adjustment Layers... remove those and the corners line up despite the Picture Frames being non-pixel aligned...

There are two solutions:

1. The first as @NathanC mentions is to perfectly pixel align everything, this will allow you to maintain a non-destructive workflow with Layer Adjustments...

2. The second would be to rasterise the images with their Adjustment Layers and then save these as Tiff files before bringing them into Publisher, though this would mean a destructive workflow, i.e., you wouldn't be able to make changes to the Adjustment Layers directly in Publisher if you wanted to make quick changes...

Note: The third PDF has been rasterised directly in Publisher to flatten the image and adjustment layers which doesn't work.

As the images were linked I've substituted these for alternative images in the screen recording to demonstrate...

@NathanC, I don't know if this therefore would be considered a bug which needs logging?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

• Staff
1 hour ago, Hangman said:

The issue actually appears to be caused by the Unsharp Mask Adjustment Layers... remove those and the corners line up despite the Picture Frames being non-pixel aligned...

There are two solutions:

1. The first as @NathanC mentions is to perfectly pixel align everything, this will allow you to maintain a non-destructive workflow with Layer Adjustments...

2. The second would be to rasterise the images with their Adjustment Layers and then save these as Tiff files before bringing them into Publisher, though this would mean a destructive workflow, i.e., you wouldn't be able to make changes to the Adjustment Layers directly in Publisher if you wanted to make quick changes...

Note: The third PDF has been rasterised directly in Publisher to flatten the image and adjustment layers which doesn't work.

As the images were linked I've substituted these for alternative images in the screen recording to demonstrate...

@NathanC, I don't know if this therefore would be considered a bug which needs logging?

Good spot, not sure why I neglected to expand the picture frames to check the nested contents originally. However, i'm not sure this is specific to just an unsharp masks/filters? The presence of the adjustment and/or filter layers nested into the frames flattens the image to the Doc DPI, and removing the unsharp mask on the frame prevents this, however if there are other nested adjustments present such as the selective colour adjustment on the top left image of page 2 the image still gets flattened to whole pixels, altering it's position on the page.

I've attached two versions of the original PDF below exported using the standard 'for export' present, one with only the unsharp mask filters deleted and the other with all nested adjustments and filters deleted, the edge alignment of the PDF with the unsharp mask deleted still has the corner alignment slightly off on Page 2 between the top left and bottom middle image, which I can only assume is a result of the image flatten and rounding, while comparatively this isn't a problem in the PDF with all adjustments/filters removed.

Have to zoom in really far in acrobat to see, as it's literally about a pixel's difference.

image.png

image.png

PDF for export - no unsharp mask or adjustment layers.pdf PDF for export - no unsharp mask.pdf

Hi @NathanC,

Sorry, I should have been a little more specific, you are completely right of course, I only used the Unsharp Mask as an example because it was common to all the images but yes, it will impact any Layer Adjustments and in the version shown in the screen recording I did uncheck all Layer Adjustment Layers, not just the Unsharp Mask Layers...

The question I guess then is, is this expected behaviour or a bug when using nested adjustment layers within a Picture Frame?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2463) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2463)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse