You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I purchased Frankentoon Neptune Brushes from the Affinity website. I have been trying to duplicate a brush in the Neptune Ink category and move it to a favorites category. When I right click the brush, the only option that is not grayed out is move to new category. When I click on move to new category, all the options are grayed out. I contacted customer support at Frankentoon and the say it is an Affinity problem that is preventing me from duplicating and moving brushes in this category. It appears that other brushes I purchased or were given as free directly from the Affinity website may have the same problem. Brushes I purchased from the Frankentoon website allow me to duplicate and move them. Is it possible to duplicate and move a brush in the Neptune Ink to a new category?

iMac (24 inch, M1, 8 cores, 16 GB Memory, 2021)

iPad Pro 12.9", 3rd Generation

There are restrictions applied to content packs that (a) you purchase from the Affinity Store and (b) that you tne install automatically via the Account dialog in the application. So, in some cases, you might need to manually download that pack from https://affinity.store/account/downloads and install it from the Brushes panel or via File > Import Content to accomplish your goal.

Having said that, though, for all of my Store brushes installed via Account, both Move to Category and Copy to Category are available. This includes the Frankentune Neptune Brushes. (Tested only on Windows so far, and only with V2.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell Thanks for the help Walt. I dowloaded and installed the Neptune brushes directly from the Affinity Store. They seem to be working as I expected they should now. I probably should have said this in my original post, but I am using V2 as well. I am having the same problem with the brushes on the iPad too. I will try the same procedure and see if it works there too.

I've tried this on my iPad now, and something odd is happening with brushes installed from the Affinity Store via Account. You can duplicate them (Save as new brush), but you can't delete or edit them or move them to a new category.

That feels wrong, to me.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

This feels wrong to me too! I had the same issue as you on the iPad. That was also the same problem I was having on the Mac destop version. To be able to duplicate them and move to a new category, I had to download the brushes files from the Affinity store and install them on the iPad. Maybe someone from Serif will chime in on this.

• 3 months later...

On the iPad, I both want to delete a copy of a built in brush that I made as an experiment, and create a project specific brush category.  Neither seems possible.  Left swiping the brush has almost everything grayed out.

4 minutes ago, TheNapCat said:

On the iPad, I both want to delete a copy of a built in brush that I made as an experiment, and create a project specific brush category.  Neither seems possible.  Left swiping the brush has almost everything grayed out.

You would use the panel preferences icon (3 bars) for the Brushes panel to add a new brush category (see below).

It sounds like you may be working with a brush category that you obtained from the Affinity Store and installed via the Account function. In that case, the category will have an icon something like a suitcase or shopping bag next to it. Although you can duplicate brushes in such a category, you can't move them or delete them. I'm not sure if that's intentional, or whether it is a bug (and if a bug, I'm not sure if it's logged). If you need to do that, you can download the brush category manually from your Affinity Store account, and install it manually, and you'll have full control over it. The limitations are applied only to brushes downloaded/installed via the Account function.

image.png

-- Walt
PC: