You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New to Publisher, seasoned InDe user question

Hello!!

FYI, I did search for a solution in the help files and forums here, but apparently I'm not using the right search terms... Installed and downloaded the full suite literally about an hour ago. Being an InDe user (and Quark and PageMaker back in the day), I've been able to get a document created and populated pretty quickly. I'm impressed with Affinity's offerings! Of course the interface is going to have a learning curve, but that's to be expected.

However, I'm stumped on the following: how do I get the page number field to display on the first page of my document? It's a short doc, only ~15 pages, doesn't really require organizing with sections. I set up a page number field on my master page. 

I tried creating a new section, but the "start page number on" is grayed out on the first section (which is only the one first page). A workaround could be to just put a text box with the number on p1, but it seems like it would be do-able from a master?

I am a graphic designer and amateur photographer, looking to transition to Affinity for personal projects, keeping the Adobe stuff for my employer (who pays for my enterprise subscription). At first glance, the software should meet all my future non-commercial needs, which is wonderful! Never have been able to get the hang of Apple's Pages or Keynote, or lay out anything in Word or Docs... 

(And I hope one day detach from Adobe for my photography as well... but, one step at a time for now.)

Thanks in advance! 

MacOS 14.2.1, AfPub 2.3.1.

Hi @dunazee, welcome to the Affinity Forums!

3 minutes ago, dunazee said:

I set up a page number field on my master page. 

How did you make it to be a "page number field" ? – Just create a text frame + choose menu Text > Insert > Fields > Page Number. On the master page it will be displayed as #.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yes, that's how I did it. Don't have the terminology down yet... The key was to actually apply the master to the page that didn't have the page number on it. Well, duh, newbie mistake. Need to see if there's a way to show what masters are applied to pages like InDe does. Which will be helpful when working with multiple masters. 

1 hour ago, dunazee said:

Need to see if there's a way to show what masters are applied to pages

Just hover over the pages thumbnails in the Pages panel. 

image.png.c8a81024f9b4b6e789d63462c19e4ffd.png

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

21 minutes ago, dunazee said:

SOLVED. Yeesh. Dragged the master page on top of page 1 and there you go. I didn't realize that the master page wasn't applied to that first page. 

You need to select "Default Master" in the New Document dialog and then it will be applied to page 1.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)