You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can select the brush from the left panel.

Then when I drag on the object no red stroke appears.

In the history it does show that I am using  the inpainting brush

After I release the pad, a progress bar appears but nothing happens in the picture!

Ithis is the case with all the other brushes, they  dont work cant select anytihng on the picture

Have I messed up a setting?

• Staff

Hi SushantPanda,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have the correct layer selected (not an adjustment layer or a mask) and that it's a Pixel layer. You can identify the type of layer looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name. If it's identified as an (Image) layer, right-click on it in the Layers panel and select Rasterise to convert it to a (Pixel) layer. You need to do this to be able to edit the layer at a pixel level (changing pixels), rather than only edit it globally (rotate skew, scale etc) which you can do with Image and Pixel layers layers.

You can then use the brushes normally.

As a test: open a picture you haven't worked on yet at all, use the inpainting brush as the first thing you do - still no red line?

If in this case you _do_ get the inpainting brush to work, maybe this screenshot will help for the other cases: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/16678-inpainting-brush-tool/&p=75620