You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I left a similar comment on a new feature addition of the 2.4 beta (Space Horizontal / Vertical now considers key object) in the excitement of the moment, unaware of its "suggestion nature". I'll elaborate more on this post.

Affinity's "Tidy up" version

What I was referring to is a "logical next step" of the new alignment behaviors in the 2.4 beta: an option that would equally or separately distribute the space between objects selected horizontally and vertically, in a similar fashion to the "Tidy up" option present in Figma. The result being a grid that may also let us set a specific space between each item in the two axes.

Illustrationshowinglayeralignmentanddistributionbeforeandafterusingthetidyupfunctiononatwodimensionalselection.thumb.png.adaddee5d5fc0b6029d268be9b0d10ac.png

Quick grids case

The Affinity apps already promote the creation and management of grids with the "Quick grids" option: by pressing the right or down arrow key while creating a shape you'll see duplicates, which also let the user set a distance between them by long pressing the same keys.

Promotional material showcasing product design uses cases

I'm fully aware that the scope of an app like, for example, Affinity Designer is a bit different from the likes of Figma, Sketch, Adobe XD, etc. In the sense that it's not really trying to be a prototyping tool, but we are all aware that the promotional materials showcase product design use cases.

artboards-designer-041120220926--sm@2x.webp.24966df526ac7837faf8893b4fdab5d9.webp

And such uses cases would certainly benefit people like web designers, for example. So it's then to be expected that the Affinity Team would obviously be aware of such features, and I know they are ;). So that's why in my original comment I asked if something like this was already being thought on for a future update.

Thanks!

Don't fight me, but i'm team sketch 😬, to each their own tho :3. And I also would love to see this feature implemented in affinity, since sketch is work payed, and affinity is self payed. And with the assets/symbols that affinity already has, nothing is to say, even if they arent super focused on UI/UX development that such feature couldn't help other users. :)

+1 from me!