You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Repeated Crashes when UNGROUPING in V. 2.4.0 (2222) Designer

I just moved to the newest BETA and this keeps happening.  No idea why. If I ungroup, it crashes.  I've been just deleting the group and starting again but now I have a group I don't WANT to have to delete and it keeps happening. 

I acknowledge this could be to do with being on an older Mac OS (10.15.7) but I am looking at Affinity as a replacement for Intaglio and I am not yet to the point I can give that up, which I fear I will have to if I upgrade my Mac past Catalina.  So my follow up is can I remove the BETA and downgrade AFD to the previous version?

Curious if it is just me or if it is happening to others...

Cheers

Mary Anne

27 minutes ago, ukma said:

Curious if it is just me or if it is happening to others...

Already logged: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&tags=AF-1709

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

32 minutes ago, ukma said:

can I remove the BETA and downgrade AFD to the previous version?

Er… in general, you should never ever use beta software for "mission critical" production. Beta software is specifically meant for testing. ;) 
You don't have to remove the beta, just don't use it until this bug is fixed.
But you should never remove the regular version if you want to get actual work done.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

LOL!  Nothing I do is "mission critical"  😂 It's just a bit annoying

I updated when suggested and the BETA has replaced the option in my dock. I guess that isn't a good idea.  TBH I'm not sure how to use the BETA alongside the regular version. Or if I can re-download the previous version and use that till these bugs get worked out!

MA

22 minutes ago, ukma said:

TBH I'm not sure how to use the BETA alongside the regular version.

Each have completely independent settings and preferences. Additionally, the recent Beta versions allow the import of settings from the regular versions. 

22 minutes ago, ukma said:

if I can re-download the previous version

Of course you can, and you definitely should. :) 

8 hours ago, ukma said:

LOL!  Nothing I do is "mission critical"  😂 It's just a bit annoying

I updated when suggested and the BETA has replaced the option in my dock. I guess that isn't a good idea.  TBH I'm not sure how to use the BETA alongside the regular version. Or if I can re-download the previous version and use that till these bugs get worked out!

MA

If it's like Windows, you can simply link the production/non-beta versions to the desktop or some place maybe pinned on the dock? That is rather annoying if it replaces your normal installs.

4 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

That is rather annoying if it replaces your normal installs.

On Mac, you can't replace a regular Affinity app with a beta unless you deliberately rename the beta to match the regular version app name, and then confirm the Finder dialog window warning by clicking a button that you want to overwrite the existing app bundle in the Applications folder. 

And if the regular version comes from the Mac App Store, you will even have to type your admin password first to be allowed to overwrite it – or even just move it.

40 minutes ago, loukash said:

On Mac, you can't replace a regular Affinity app with a beta unless you deliberately rename the beta to match the regular version app name, and then confirm the Finder dialog window warning by clicking a button that you want to overwrite the existing app bundle in the Applications folder. 

And if the regular version comes from the Mac App Store, you will even have to type your admin password first to be allowed to overwrite it – or even just move it.

In this case, re: "normal install", I was talking about the icon itself. Was thinking it'd be implied from the first sentence. Sorry for that.

Just now, debraspicher said:

I was talking about the icon itself.

As in the Dock?
Apps aren't automatically added to the Dock permanently. Usually they simply appear when they are running.
The Dock can also show a few "recent applications" if enabled in System Settings. (There is a hidden "power user" preference on current MacOS that enables up to 10 recent apps remaining visible in the Dock.)

Adding an app icon to the Dock permanently requires user action. Much like removing a permanent app icon from the Dock. But the latter doesn't remove the app itself from the disk. It still lives in the Applications folder and can be launched at any time, be it from the Applications folder via Finder, via Launchpad, Spotlight search, via an alias anywhere in the Finder filesystem, etc.

The thing with Affinity betas is, however, that they may take over Affinity documents as default apps. That's definitely been the case on my new MacBook last year. I had to open the Get Info window for an afdesign, afphoto and an afpub document and make sure that the regular Affinity apps are set as default to open every document with these file extensions.

Thanks for all the help.  I did re-download the previous version and am now running that alongside the Beta.  I find it annoying I can't seem to remove the beta from the Open With menu as it appears above the 2.3 version.  Just a Mac annoyance, that. :D

To clarify, I did update to the Beta and that UPDATE the icon in my dock to the Beta as well.  It was a useful exercise that I now know to avoid in the future.  My hubby always says "Being on the cutting edge is good.  The bleeding edge? not so much..." so maybe I will opt not to update to a beta till the kinks have been worked out.  Cheers all...

MA

41 minutes ago, ukma said:

I can't seem to remove the beta from the Open With menu as it appears above the 2.3 version. Just a Mac annoyance, that.

That's definitely "by design", as they say. This is how MacOS is supposed to work, and the exact purpose of the Open With menu item in the first place.

• Staff

The issue "Crash when ungrouping objects" (REF: AF-1709) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2237".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.