You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't flip images based on transform origin.

Hi, I am new to Affinity Photo 2.3. I have a problem while trying to flip the image based on the transform origin points of the image. I tried enable transform origin in the tool option and move the transform origin to where I want it to be. However, the image still flips based on the center of the image. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

2D Cutout animator

As far as I know, and as the Help suggests, the Flip functionality does not use the Transform Origin and always flips through the centre (horizontal/vertical) of the selected layer or combined layer selection.

Can you give us a good example of when it would be useful to be able to flip through a user-specified point?

If trying to flip a layer that covers the entire document area I'm also not sure how this would be useful, but consider a smaller layer which has some element which is visually aligned with something behind it at a specific vertical position.  If you want to flip that upper layer but keep it aligned, you would want to anchor the flip at the position which should remain aligned.

Another example might be a shore line where you want to reflect a building into water which is below the line.  If you duplicate the content then flip it at the line this may sometimes give you a good starting point for positioning the reflection.

One method of getting close to this is to resize around the transform point by dragging the appropriate top/bottom/side handle while holding down (command on the Mac); if you resize past the transform origin it will have the effect of flipping the layer, the catch being that you need to manually match the size to the original size and it may be slightly off.  For a reflection this is probably not much of an issue as you would likely wind up resizing it anyway after the flip and with this technique you can do both in one step... for other use cases how much of an issue it is will vary.

I agree that having it flip around the transform origin when the origin is enabled would be a good idea, and I believe this has been requested before at least once or twice.

The example of when it is useful is that when I want to flip a copy to the other edge of the original image. To be clear, if I have an image, then I click ctr+j to copy the image to another layer and keep the position of the image. Then I want to flip the copied horizontally but also have the copied image moved to the edge of the original image, so I need to move the transform origin point to the edge of the copied image that I wanted to flip. This can be achieved by copy the image, then move it to the edge, using the snap to snap it to the edge of the original one, and then flip it later. But there might be some more usefulness by being able to flip the image based on transform origin such as performing a move/duplicate by following the flip pattern, and more.

2D Cutout animator

Some quite reasonable examples there I think.

As for the last one, while you are waiting, you might like to try using the Bitmap Gradient Fill with the Mirror option to get two images side-by-side but flipped.

See attached video for a quick demonstration.

I think there have been other requests which have gone further than this one, asking to be able to flip a layer through any user-specified straight line.

Wow! that is great. Thank you very much. This is really suit my need as I always try to copy, mirror flip based on transform origin in my previous app that I used just to make something like that. However, I think transform origin is still needed in some case. I think it is what transform origin is meant to be. It is something that help user transform or flp based on it. Anyway, thank for your help. ❤️

2D Cutout animator