You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Basic transpancy (background) in layers?

I am a new user of Affinity Photo (V2 on Mac OS) coming over from GIMP. The presets in the toolbar alone are amazing, and it took me only minutes to draw objects that would have taken me an hour or more on GIMP...BUT ...

(You knew there had to be one, right?)

I am trying to create a small graphic for the web that has a transparent background. For the life of me, I haven't been able to figure out how to do this! It's GOT to be something simple I'm overlooking. I've created a graphic, gotten the disparate layers together in a group... but I still have a solid white background. In GIMP, I could set an alpha channel and the two-tone grey checkerboard pattern would be displayed in the background, making the transparency very obvious. I'm completely lost here, and a web search for tutorials turns up so many mentioning transparency that even sorting through them would take the better part of a week, it seems.

I'm not trying anything fancy , I just want to draw on a transparent layer... like an animator making an old-style pre-digital cel. HELP!!!

Edited by BARR_ceo
correcting typos

You can specify a transparent background when creating a new document (on the Colour tab of the dialogue).

Or if you already have a document without a transparent background, use the menu Document > Transparent Background.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

53 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

You can specify a transparent background when creating a new document (on the Colour tab of the dialogue).

Or if you already have a document without a transparent background, use the menu Document > Transparent Background.

See, I knew it had to be something simple I missed! Thanks!

1 hour ago, BARR_ceo said:

I'm completely lost here, and a web search for tutorials turns up so many mentioning transparency that even sorting through them would take the better part of a week, it seems.

"Transparency" applies to a range of situations and meanings. You can narrow down the search results with a search for "transparent background" or "transparency pattern", for instance:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q="transparent background"&quick=1&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Nevertheless, this feature and its handling may confuse. While the export options offer a "Matte" colour (e.g. for PNG) which appears to show "no colour" by default  mattecolournone.png.61d071ac2a890b1b4e38e8db309dee25.png  this setting can have both meanings: white and transparent:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1