You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Revert defaults doesn't work properly with text frames with vertical align applied.

bbrother

This bug affects whole Affinity Suite. Photo, Designer, Publisher.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Add frame text.
  2. Select the text in text frame, change the font size and font wieght to some other than initial values.
  3. Change the text vertical aligment either in context tollbar or text frame panel to something other than "Top align".
  4. Deselect the text frame.
  5. Now select the text frame back again and click "Revert defaults" on the toolbar.

What happened:

Font size and weight is correctly reverted to initial/default values.

Vertical aligment on the text frame wasn't reverted corectly to "Top align". The text in text frame is still "Center verticaly".

There is inconsistency what the vertical align buttons in context toolbar or text frame panel indicating and what we see in text frame. Although the aligment buttons in the context toolbar and int the text frame panel point correctly that the veritcal aligment was changed back to "Top align", text is still centered verticaly.

An incorrect second click on the "Revert defaults" button is required to revert text vertical alignment to "Top align".

What should happen:

After the first click of the "Revert defaults" button the font atributtes should revert to default values but also the vertical aligment in text frame should revert to the default "Top align".

The vertical aligment in text frame should be consistent with that what is indicated by the vertical aligment buttons in the context toolbar and text frame panel.

I hope I explained the problem in an understandable way.
I'm attaching screen recording video below.

Good catch. It does actually revert, it just doesn't render the text in the correct place until you start typing again. If you type a character in the frame then the text will move to its correct location.

There's a second minor issue. This bad screenshot shows the effect of undoing two columns of gibberish text. Although the column count was reverted and the text rendered in a single column, the red underlines for misspelled words weren't redrawn until I did something else like type a character or move the frame.

Screenshot2023-12-12at10_11_19AM.png.12a45fcd8940c1364890a0d8593bf0ca.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Yeah @MikeTO it's look like there is a redraw issue in the text frame when you click the "Revert default".

And the only way to triger another redraw to fix this issue is to type in the text frame or a second click on the "Revert default".
Zooming in or out doesen't help.

This is definitely a bug and should be fixed.