You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Styles changing

It may very well be that I am doing something wrong, but this has been very problematic since the last update.  

I have my paragraph styles and text styles (and admittedly a lot of them that I should delete) in a file I have been editing across all of the updates (from v1.0).

When I went to do edits today (the file was saved, but open). 
1.  My key paragraph style for this document (body text) was oddly resizing some of the font to 21.88887 from 14. 
2. I went in to look at the settings for the style, and it had switched from the body text to normal (not one I use).
3.  I fixed it, and the text that was changed.
4.  Where it has been fixed the text flow is no longer working properly.

This is incredibly time consuming when this happens.  I would appreciate knowing 1) what I am doing wrong and if there is a link to a specific tutorial), 2) if this is a bug if there is an easy work around.

I have gone into my file and deleted all the superfluous text styles and am fixing the problems that arise.  I'll upload a new version soon.

I am losing my mind doing my own edits and these style edits.
Thanks.

Jill

Lyon & Lyon Traboules 2023.afpub

Edited by Jill Wolcott
added information

Thanks for the file, Jill, but can you give us some more information to locate a specific spot in the text where we can see the issues you've descrived?

9 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

1.  My key paragraph style for this document (body text) was oddly resizing some of the font to 21.88887 from 14. 

That might mean that you have rescaled (enlarged) a Text Frame, using the outer unattached handle on the lower right of the frame. The handle I have labeled "1" below will resize the frame but the one labeled "2" will both resize the frame and rescale its contents. If you were to use that rescaling handle, then text which you assigned a font size of (say) 10 might actually be 12, 18, 20, etc. depending on the rescaling factor. It would show as 10 in the Context Toolbar or in the Text Style definition, but would appear larger in that particular frame.

image.png.18dd555f2607e4639e476c00a5646380.png

13 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

2. I went in to look at the settings for the style, and it had switched from the body text to normal (not one I use).

I have no ideas for that one, other than if you pasted in text from an external source its style would come with it, and Normal sounds like a text style from Word.

14 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

4.  Where it has been fixed the text flow is no longer working properly.

Sorry; I don't understand what you mean there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the reply.  I am pretty sure I haven't used that outer resize button.  All of this just happened spontaneously.  I have moved pages around.  Same with the switch of style.  I'd literally done nothing.  Here's a screen shot of one of the text flow problems:

The text on the bottom page was on the upper page, then Affinity made it tiny, shoved it to the next page (this happens a lot when reflowing things) and now it won't go back into the spot under the D heading. If I copy and paste it it just pushes it ahead.  I've checked for breaks, etc.  It happened another place as well, but I somehow managed to get it repaired.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 1.22.48 PM.png

Just tried undoing my orphan line settings and that fixed the text flowing.  Shouldn't have, so that may possibly be a bug.

Is there a specific video on text styles that might help.  I've tidied up the styles and have saved the file as a template for future use.

So whatever happened that changed the text styles is what caused everything.  I've now fixed it all!  I did remove a bunch of text styles which made it a bit easier to fix the culprits.  Very tedious.

Hi Jill, the problem is exactly as Walt described. The text frame on page 11 (xix) has been scaled with the content scaling handle instead of with the regular size handle. I didn't check the rest of the document for more issues.

This is a very frequent mistake that we've all made from time to time. Just delete that text frame, draw a new one, and link the left one to the new frame.

I'm sure there's a video on text styles but I'm not too up on those. However, I've written a free manual for Publisher available in PDF from this forum (see my signature below) and the latest version has a chapter on text styles. You might also want to read the section on text frames, too.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)