You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An error occurred while exporting to psd

Hello,

I have a huge file of 10000x7000 with a few layers which creates error while exporting as psd. I can export to png or tiff or others but not psd. Is there a known file size safety limit or something wrong with my file? Layer names are not long nor including exotic characters, everything is raster, no text no line no effects. Just a background layer and 4 more transparent content. :(

@emrezo 10000x7000 what? 

Pixels, mm, cm, Inches, feet yards, metres?

Found this on a post for Illustrator, it reference's maximum dimensions in inches and it would be easy enough to calculate into other measurement units, so the first entry in the list is 72 x 3555.555 and the max size in pixels is 256000 x 256000 

Regarding sizes, as far as I am aware nothing has changed in this regard...

The current version (1.8.3.641) has the following limits:
72 DPI: 3555.555" X 3555.555"

96 DPI: 2666.666" X 2666.666"
144 DPI: 1777.777" X 1777.777"
192 DPI: 1333.333" X 1333.333"
300 DPI: 853.333" X 853.333"
400 DPI: 640" X 640"

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

@emrezo 10000x7000 what? 

Pixels, mm, cm, Inches, feet yards, metres?

Found this on a post for Illustrator, it reference's maximum dimensions in inches and it would be easy enough to calculate into other measurement units, so the first entry in the list is 72 x 3555.555 and the max size in pixels is 256000 x 256000 

Regarding sizes, as far as I am aware nothing has changed in this regard...

Ofcourse pixels. 

Anyways i resized dimensions to half, it exported without an error. So there is a problem with high pixel counts.

I wonder if it is specific to my system or have anyone else experienced this...

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @emrezo :)

8 hours ago, emrezo said:

Is there a known file size safety limit or something wrong with my file?

The .PSD format only supports documents up to 2GB in size, it's possible that with such a large canvas, the exported document is exceeding this size and therefore fails to export.

Are you able to provide a copy of the .afphoto file that fails to export at full size to PSD, so that I can investigate further here?

Many thanks in advance!

39 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @emrezo :)

The .PSD format only supports documents up to 4GB in size, it's possible that with such a large canvas, the exported document is exceeding this size and therefore fails to export.

Are you able to provide a copy of the .afphoto file that fails to export at full size to PSD, so that I can investigate further here?

Many thanks in advance!

Hello Dan,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B_mx5a5gBMVz_qUrJsAq3dIIhfpoQy2R/view?usp=sharing

This is the file link you can download .

Thank you.

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me!

It appears to be caused due to the Mask applied to the Curves layer, as if I replace this with a Curves Adjustment using no Mask (a mask is not required, as the Adjustment is grouped with an Image layer, meaning it is effectively already masked to this Layer) the document exports to PSD as expected.

Please find a repaired version of your file which exports correctly here: porscheposter_F.afphoto

I'm not entirely certain why resizing the canvas allows you to export to PSD without the error message showing - though I will be sure to include this information within the development report for this file.

I hope this helps :)