You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustment menus keep disappearing after opening them

Broghan

I'm using Affinity Photo 2, and I'm using the latest release of the app on my iPad, which is also running iPadOS 17.1.2. My iPad is an iPad Pro 11" with an M2 processor, with a storage size of 128GB.

I'm not sure what steps exactly make this issue occur, it seems to pop up completely randomly, on new documents or on old ones. It doesn't seem to matter if there's a large or small amount of layers, or whether or not I'm using the Apple Pencil. I try to open an adjustment menu for a filter (It doesn't seem to care what filter/adjustment it is, it happens on them all) and the menu closes itself constantly. It survives restarting the application, restarting my iPad, closing and re-opening project files, going to different project files, and seems to go away as randomly as it starts up. It just popped up again on a completely different project file of mine as well. The menu sometimes closes itself less than a second after it opens, and sometimes it closes while I'm adjusting things within said menu.

It has been happening since I was on iPadOS 16, and it's been happening on and off ever since Affinity V2.1. I don't know if it would happen on previous versions as I've had the program for less than a year.

I've attached a video of the problem happening, as well as one of the project files that it's popped up on.

example.afphoto

Edited by Broghan
Adding additional information about hardware

• Staff

Welcome to the forums @Broghan,

From your recording it's possible you're also running into a known bug with the adjustment windows intermittently flickering or disappearing completely when the iPad is positioned or moved to certain angles, to confirm this is the case try putting it on a flat surface and opening up an adjustment window to see if it will disappear.

7 hours ago, NathanC said:

Welcome to the forums @Broghan,

From your recording it's possible you're also running into a known bug with the adjustment windows intermittently flickering or disappearing completely when the iPad is positioned or moved to certain angles, to confirm this is the case try putting it on a flat surface and opening up an adjustment window to see if it will disappear.

Hi Nathan!

Thank you for the reply, I can confirm that when I move the iPad while having this menu open, I can reliably replicate the issue. Keeping the iPad still or having it still on a flat surface fixes the issue. I also noticed that having the rotation lock enabled on an iPadOS level stops it from happening as well, so there’s a reasonable workaround too. 

Thank you for confirming the issue, I can stop feeling like I’m losing my mind now!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "[iOS] Adjustment Interface and Image placement menu flicker when iPad is held/Positioned at certain angles" (REF: AF-1306) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2279".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.