You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corrupted File (Recover)

Hi Guys, 

Good morning. 
I'm working on a file that has got corrupted, blocking and failing the file loading. 
Is there any way to recover it? 

Any help tips will be very appreciated. 
Im using the Beta Version 2.3.0 (2165) on MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1 

Thank you. 

Which Affinity app(s) do you have?

Can you upload the file to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On first glance it is recoverable using the "Add pages from file" method and can be opened but it warns there are still some "file errors"

I'll upload what I have for now but I think the official support staff will need to take a deeper look at it

Let me know if you can at least open the attached

rec4.afpub

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, EPriuli said:

I think would be great if the technical support could take a look into it, to see if it could be recovered. 

Did it open for you?

5 minutes ago, EPriuli said:

Hey @Hangman Do you think the file could be recovered? Thank you in advance. 

I see the following message when opening @carl123's recovered file... "Your file has errors. It was possible to open it, but you are advised to take a copy of this file and report this error."

I suspect one of the Linked files is causing the issue but if you follow the advice in the error message and then relink the Linked files does the file open without issue for you?

If not, could you zip and then upload the linked files as well so we can take a closer look...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

Hi @EPriuli,

Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by 'almost all features messed up'...

This is the list of the Linked files in your document...

image.thumb.png.c3083213ed70edbf2ad6891d906b38dd.png

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

ok, did you get the list in the recovered file, right? 
@Hangman I mean the things are not in the right place or as it was setup originally. 

Im gonna create the .zip of the missing files. 

By the way, just as good practice what is the best way to have the files linked as it's not the first time I got problems with linked files. 

ok, did you get the list in the recovered file, right?

I did, from @carl123's recovery file...

By the way, just as good practice what is the best way to have the files linked as it's not the first time I got problems with linked files.

Personally, I keep everything in a single Project folder, so I may have a Main folder for the project in which I save my Publisher file and in that folder I will have a subfolder or folders for my resource files which could be as simple as a single folder for a basic project or if relevant, for bigger projects I may have multiple folders split into different types of media files, PDF, Designer Files, Image Files and so on...

Thank you for the Tips @Hangman.

Reviewing the linked files, I'm aware that some images are very huge, those images are uploaded from stock tab, would be great have a way to choose or reduce their dimensions to apply to the files, I don't know if could be possible but could be a great addition to the current features.

Hi @EPriuli,

See how you get on with the attached file... Unzip it into a new folder separate from your orginal file...

I've embedded all the image files for ease but feel free to change these back to Linked files if you prefer...

I believe the file itself has an element of corruption but the main cause of the problem 'appears' to be the green strokes that appear on pages 3, 5 and 7, i.e.,

Page 3 - The wavy green stroke that appears between the single and group of four photos at the bottom right of the page
Page 5 - The wavy green stroke that appears beneath the word Nuovo and the green arrow and arrowhead to the left of the Filter-X Cooler photo
Page 7 - The wavy green stroke that appears beneath the 'Engaged for a better future' text at the bottom of the page

I would suggest you recreate these... I'm unsure why they are causing an issue but they do appear to be the cause of the error you see with the file.

There are also a number of Empty Group layers across the pages and while they don't appear to be causing any issues, I've not included these in the attached file as they appear to serve no purpose...

There is a vertical grey line running down the bulleted text on Page 5 which looks as though it should appear to the left of the text but I have no way of knowing so I would suggest going through the attached file and adjusting anything that appears to be out of place.

Let us know how you get on and whether you still see the same error as before.

Skypost X.zip

Hi @EPriuli,

Is the file itself now opening without any errors or issues or have you not had a chance to look at it yet?

13 minutes ago, EPriuli said:

I'm working to fix the errors. I'm trying to figure it out how to create a good work flow to integrate the images (embed or linked). 

Either should work fine... logically to keep the Publisher file size down you could Link the graphic files but a lot depends on the nature of the files, e.g., with placed PDF files you may want to Embed them if there is a need to edit the files directly, a lot depends on the size of the project and the nature of the graphic files involved...

Personally, I would rename the stock image files that currently have alpha-numeric file names to something more meaningful but ultimately it's just about being organised with your files...