You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deselecting Objects on iPad/App Seems to Highlight Objects I don't want and get stuck all the time?

I'm working on a design and I can hardly see it for the app tracing round objects - normally I used to be able to get rid of these things by selecting the Move Tool but the only way to get rid seems to involve closing the file and reopening - repeatedly

I'm try to resize a group of objects and it keeps selecting other larger objects round it so I can't see properly !

CTRL+D works on Windows but on the iPad I'm stuck with this mess - how do I get the app to un-highlight all objects?

Must be either a bug or more likely something I'm not doing right?

I've always struggled a bit with getting the iPad app to deselect everything - especially using finger touch it's nearly impossible then (need the pencil for drawing stuff though anyway - just one time I opened a design to show somebody without having the pencil and I could get it to deselect an object

• Staff

Hi @awakenedbyowls,

Which app are you working in? If you're in Designer the quickest way is to use the 'X' button located at the bottom left hand corner, this will clear all active object selections. If you do have a magic/external keyboard connected to your iPad unfortunately the CMD + D to deselect doesn't currently clear active object selections when it should, only pixel selections which is logged with the developers.

image.png

I don't know what's going with this app or if it's something I'm doing but it seems a little bit glitchy - and it just keeps on tracing pink lines round random objects and the only way to remove them is to come out of the file and go back in

And why is the Node Tool set to have three modes on by default all the time? I'm constantly having to turn the damn settings off because most of the time I don't want to use these feature - surely off by default would make more sense? Or is there a way to set the default I expect there probably is

• Staff
On 11/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, awakenedbyowls said:

I don't know what's going with this app or if it's something I'm doing but it seems a little bit glitchy - and it just keeps on tracing pink lines round random objects and the only way to remove them is to come out of the file and go back in

In the Snapping settings menu, disable 'Show Snapping Candidates' or change the Candidates dropdown to an option which isn't 'Candidate list'.

https://affinity.help/designer2ipad/English.lproj/pages/DesignAids/snapping.html

On 11/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, awakenedbyowls said:

And why is the Node Tool set to have three modes on by default all the time? I'm constantly having to turn the damn settings off because most of the time I don't want to use these feature - surely off by default would make more sense? Or is there a way to set the default I expect there probably is

What three modes are you referring to? If it's the node snapping options (The magnet icon on the left hand side of the context toolbar) this only ever has 'Snap to Geometry' enabled by default for me, I can turn on the other node snapping modes which will persist as on for the remainder of my app session If I create new documents, and when I restart the app it just defaults to 'Snap to Geometry' again. It doesn't look like the default can be changed currently.

6 minutes ago, NathanC said:

In the Snapping settings menu, disable 'Show Snapping Candidates' or change the Candidates dropdown to an option which isn't 'Candidate list'.

https://affinity.help/designer2ipad/English.lproj/pages/DesignAids/snapping.html

What three modes are you referring to? If it's the node snapping options (The magnet icon on the left hand side of the context toolbar) this only ever has 'Snap to Geometry' enabled by default for me, I can turn on the other node snapping modes which will persist as on for the remainder of my app session If I create new documents, and when I restart the app it just defaults to 'Snap to Geometry' again. It doesn't look like the default can be changed currently.

Still figuring out what's causing this - it might be something to do with that but I usually work with all snapping off by default until I want snapping

The other snapping mechanism - I've gone through the tutorials ages ago but it still confuses me a bit - I need to sit down with it one day and just go through all the options again

I'm not sure if some of these glitches are caused by me having lots of layers and cluttering up large files (I'm working to keep things tidy) but in any case I'm having an annoying problem with this file I'm currently working on which is refuses to allow me to select layers with the Pencil - so I have to manually go through all the layers until I find the right one - I've copied and pasted layers into other files to get round this problem and it's still doing it and causing me a lot of frustration as are the following glitches which may be just my drawing gloves hitting a button or something?

- when selecting nodes with the Pencil the app has an annoying habit of un-highlighting all the nodes and I have to then go into Layers to find it the layer 

- when deleting single nodes sometimes the app goes into warp drives and deletes a whole selection of layers forcing me to use CTRL+Z to get them all back