You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you remove a white background when doing text?

This was fixed and now it is back after I updated to the newest version of the Affinity Designer...

When adding text you get a white background and I cannot for the life of me fix this and need to get some projects done...

What is the quickest and permanent fix to this? TIA

image.png.5437f20a71738071921a5ccdb26334b2.png

There could be several reasons for that, including having a character background set (Character panel), or having done a copy/paste of something that had the white background.

What exactly did you do to get that character?

One quick fix that often works: Edit > Defaults > Revert (or the corresponding tool on the Toolbar) while you have the text selected. Possibly then followed by Edit > Defaults > Save.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you can share an Affinity document that demonstrates it I can look (or someone else can). Otherwise I can only suggest reverting the defaults.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @barbichn,

Thanks for the file.

I've been able to resolve this with your file by following the advice posted by @walt.farrell, which was to select the text with the background and then click Edit > Defaults > Revert and then Defaults > Save which will stop this from happening. 

Have you tried that?  

I am sorry for the delayed response. I got very ill and am I hope. finally getting better. I will try all of the suggestions today and report back to you on if this solves it or not.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and assistance as it is greatly appreciated - Barbi

Good day everyone,

I am happy to say with brand new documents there is no white background.

Only happens when I open an existing document it does it then I do your instructions above and no more white background!

Thank you to everyone for your invaluable advice and assistance!

Have a wonderful day to all and thanks again!