You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo keeps crashing

On 11/1/2021 at 12:42 AM, JollyPirateKing said:

24240aa6-5445-430d-b547-1f46a6df992b.dmp6f98b49e-1a6c-4576-ba21-842f84f21f5f.dmpAffinity

Hello, 

I am using Affinity Photo v. 1.10.4.1198 and every time I open a file or create a new document the application crashes. I tried restarting my computer and reinstalling the application numerous times and I keep getting the same crash. Please help!

My PC AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-Core processor, 16MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, Windows 11 and Affinity Photo v. 2.2.1 installed on a Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB (SSD) and the same problem you have, since I installed v. 2.2.1! I've already reinstalled older versions ( 2.0.0, 2.0.4, 1.9.1, 1.10.0, 1.10.5, ...!!). Same problem ( which didn't happened before ).

I have other photo apps like Corel Paintshop Pro Ultimate 2020 and 2023. working well, though I had used Affinity versions for over 5 years and it's much better! I hope Affinity finds a solution to that problem fast!!

• Staff

Hi @Lucas CM,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

As you are reporting an issue with Affinity V2, I have split your post from the V1 bugs thread where you originally posted.

In regards to this issue, it's likely caused by an outdated GPU driver, as this can cause the Affinity apps to crash when creating a new document.

Please visit the below link and download the latest drivers for your GTX 1060 -

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?

With this driver downloaded, please perform a Clean Install, as outlined below - 

https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/57037

Once completed, restart your PC and then try creating a document within Affinity again. Does this resolve the crashing behaviour please? :)

My Affinity Photo 2.2.1 today would go 'not responding' when asked to load any image file.

I could only force it to close and go crying to Microsoft.

I upgraded the NVIDIA driver for my P620 recently.

Doing a clean install of the driver (same downloaded driver setup file - no need to re download, same version) as Dan C's post has solved this problem

I had a similar problem wit my PC, 

Quoting my note at top:

"My PC AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-Core processor, 16MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, Windows 11 and Affinity Photo v. 2.2.1 installed on a Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB (SSD) and the same problem you have, since I installed v. 2.2.1! I've already reinstalled older versions ( 2.0.0, 2.0.4, 1.9.1, 1.10.0, 1.10.5, ...!!). Same problem ( which didn't happened before )."

I did then upgrade my NVIDIA Driver (  517.40-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-nsd-dch-whql ) to latest the  version recommended by them ( 546.01-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql ), and did a complete re-installation of Affinity 2.2.1. It now works perfectly!! In my case at least, it wasn't an Affinity problem!!

I had to chime in here with my own grumbling about Photo 2 crashing. I was just editing a photo and it crashed after doing a lot of cloning and fine manipulation to remove an unwanted reflection in a window in my shot. So 20 minutes or so wasted. Hitting yes to the Relaunch of Affinity Photo does not help as the original, unedited files just reopen. Every edit is still lost. This has happened more often than I would like and I just have to close my laptop and walk away in frustration. Today I opened it again to finally complain. I feel this happens more frequently with version 2 than the old "original" iteration. I have to sort of wonder, now and again, what I got out of spending money to "upgrade" -- well, other than merely supporting software that I (usually) feel privileged to use. My laptop (MacBook Pro from 2019 running Sonoma 14.0) also has to work a lot harder to run version 2 than it did running the original Affinity Photo. So, again, I wonder to myself why did I upgrade....

• Staff

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @Salus - though this is a bug report thread for Affinity on Windows and it appears as though you're using macOS.
For future posts, please double check the section of the forums where the original thread has been posted, if you aren't creating a new thread.

In regards to the issue you're having, can you please open the Affinity app and navigate to Affinity Photo 2 > Settings > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

On 11/14/2023 at 12:48 PM, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @Salus - though this is a bug report thread for Affinity on Windows and it appears as though you're using macOS.
For future posts, please double check the section of the forums where the original thread has been posted, if you aren't creating a new thread.

In regards to the issue you're having, can you please open the Affinity app and navigate to Affinity Photo 2 > Settings > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi, So sorry I did not check where the topic "Affinity Photo Keeps Crashing" was nested. I was obviously not in the right forum. I saw that topic at the top of the page after logging in and I dove right in without checking. I will be better in future, promise!

Here is the screenshot that was requested. Hope it helps and many thanks!

image.png

• Staff

No problem at all, I certainly understand!

Many thanks for providing that for me - everything looks as expected here, therefore I'd like to request a copy of the latest crash reports from your mac, to see if these indicate the cause of the issue you're reporting.

Please follow the below FAQ to locate these, then attach the latest 3 - 5 reports to your reply here for me:

Many thanks once again :)

On 11/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, Dan C said:

Many thanks for providing that for me - everything looks as expected here, therefore I'd like to request a copy of the latest crash reports from your mac, to see if these indicate the cause of the issue you're reporting.

Please follow the below FAQ to locate these, then attach the latest 3 - 5 reports to your reply here for me:

Hi, I went to the Console and selected Crash Reports and there was only one listed (not sure why only one). I will attach it here. I hope it is helpful. Thanks!

Affinity Photo 2 Affinity Store-2023-11-14-121502.ips

On 11/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, Dan C said:

Hi,

I was just working again on an image in Affinity Photo and it crashed when I was trying to do a lighting effect layer. I have grabbed the crash report and am attaching it here now. Thanks!

Affinity Photo 2 Affinity Store-2023-11-21-130123.ips

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me - there's not a huge amount of information within these reports, however I do note that they both have 'com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver' listed - which is the OpenGL GPU driver provided by Apple/AMD.

What exact GPU does your mac use please?

Please try changing the Display option in the above screenshot from 'OpenGL' to 'Metal', then restart the app as prompted. Now try editing your documents once again, does this reduce the crashing behaviour please? :)

Quoting my 2nd note at the top of this thread:

"My PC AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-Core processor, 16MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, Windows 11 and Affinity Photo v. 2.2.1 installed on a Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB (SSD) and the same problem you have, since I installed v. 2.2.1! I've already reinstalled older versions ( 2.0.0, 2.0.4, 1.9.1, 1.10.0, 1.10.5, ...!!). Same problem ( which didn't happened before )."

I did then upgrade my NVIDIA Driver (  517.40-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-nsd-dch-whql ) to latest the  version recommended by them ( 546.01-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql ), and did a complete re-installation of Affinity 2.2.1. It now works perfectly!! In my case at least, it wasn't an Affinity problem!!