You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table of content - retrait - what is that ?

Hello

In my attempt to understand every parameters in Publisher (!!), I can't figure out what is the "RETRAIT" parameter in the windows that appear when clicking the hamburger menu near a style name in the Table of content windows.

If anybody knows...

Many thanks

TDM.jpg

In English, that’s the “Indent Level” setting.
Basically it tells the software the horizontal placing of the TOC items that are formatted with that Text Style.
See attached image – items 1.5.x use “Heading 2” and so are indented from the left by 1 tab.

image.png.384598794d1ff5deada0d982d0fede2f.png

Thank you Gary for your answer.

But for me it doesn't work.

It's the TOC style that tell the right indent (in the Paragraph > Spacing Tab of the Edit Style panel)), and not the Indent level. If I have no right indent spacing on the Heading 2 TOC style, changing the indent level to 1 in the Heading entry of the TOC panel does nothing.

Probably a bug or something I doing wrong.

But thank you again.

7 minutes ago, steday said:

But for me it doesn't work.

It's the TOC style that tell the right indent (in the Paragraph > Spacing Tab of the Edit Style panel)), and not the Indent level. If I have no right indent spacing on the Heading 2 TOC style, changing the indent level to 1 in the Heading entry of the TOC panel does nothing.

Probably a bug or something I doing wrong.

It doesn't change the visible indent level but the TOC hierarchy level. To change the left indent value you'd edit the associated TOC text style.

Heading 1 should be indent level 1, Heading 2 should be indent level 2, etc. But let's say you didn't use those styles and instead used styles A, B, and C, and those styles weren't defined as based on each other. Publisher would have no way to know their hierarchy. The Indent Level feature allows you to define the hierarchy.

If you're using Heading 1, 2, 3... there is no need to ever change this setting.

I described this feature in the free Publisher manual I shared in this forum but I think I could have explained it better, too. After seeing your question I edited the language for the next version.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thank you Mike

Concerning the indent level, I understand what you says, I try but cannot find an exemple where it work.

In fact I don't understand why Publisher need to know the hierarchy of the title styles use in the document it's my (the designer) work to indent correctly the TOC style to see the hierarchy. (Sorry my English is not very good to explain).

This allow me to says you a big thank for your manual which is a great ressource.

EDIT : you must read LEFT indent and nor RIGHT indent (text yellow in the picture).

TDM1.jpg

6 hours ago, steday said:

Concerning the indent level, I understand what you says, I try but cannot find an exemple where it work.

In fact I don't understand why Publisher need to know the hierarchy of the title styles use in the document it's my (the designer) work to indent correctly the TOC style to see the hierarchy. (Sorry my English is not very good to explain).

This allow me to says you a big thank for your manual which is a great ressource.

You're welcome.

I'll make this more clear in the next edition of the manual which I'll upload around the time 2.3 is released. The indent level impacts only the generated anchors which are used for the PDF bookmarks. If you're printing your document the indent level doesn't matter but if you're distributing a PDF then you'll want to get the indent levels right. Start numbering from 1, not 0.

To change the left indent of the headings, edit the text style. Here's an example of a properly formatted TOC so that you can compare it to your own. The only change I made from the automatic formatting was to turn on the dot leader.

TOC.afpub

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)