You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto Height for "Frame Text"

How about an option to set the "Frame Text" to auto height so the bounding-box is only as tall or wide as the text within. This does not appear to possible at the moment. The height of the text box can be manually adjusted, but having it auto-fit the text would be quite nice.

Possible solution: alt/option clicking the bottom bounding-box frame would automatically adjust the size to match the text height.

Edit: I no longer have illustrator on my machine (completely switched to AD) but I'm almost positive it had a similar method for handling this

Any thoughts?

Have you tried using Art text?

Frame text will evolve a lot for Publisher, when we'll have multiple columns in a frame, and flowing a single story between multiple text frames. Any options for auto resizing frames, and UI involving frames, will have to be considered in that context.

I have used "Art Text", but that's more suitable for one or two lines of text as it requires hard returns to force a line break. Without having an "auto height" for "Frame Text", it becomes difficult to accurately maintain vertical rhythm and alignment as you simply have to estimate where the bottom of the text ends. And if the bounding-box happens to be taller or shorter than the contained text, the snapping will be way off.