You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deleting ~50 pages in my document consistently hard crashes Publisher

Intuos5

Actually, deleting a couple spreads beyond page 25 immediately hard-crashes publisher. It's completely unworkable, initially. When I delete the more simple spreads (those without linked text frames or heavy linked graphics), I already notice performance improvements and then, the crashes disappear. I do still have plenty of RAM to work with (32 GB of which roughly 16 GB were unused).

It seems as though I have to wait for the spread that I delete to disappear from the main viewport before I can delete another spread.

@Lee DI have also found another consistent hard-crash in the document I have uploaded, it happens when I change the masterpage for the spread on page 28-29, see video:

I managed to manually resolve the issue with a new spread, cut pasting and relinking the cross references. The issue appears to be that there are two different master's assigned to each page, which I cannot overwrite with a single master for the entire spread. Can't reliably reproduce this elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Staff

@Intuos5 Very sorry for the delay.

I've passed the file over to our developers to take a look at. As it was crashing when deleting pages either as groups or singular for me during testing.

On macOS I was able to get crash reports linked to the issue that I've also passed over. On Windows no reports were being generated, but the crashes did seem more easily caused. I did find that after deleting one of the Master pages (4. Footnote - text) the crashes where less frequent and other pages could be deleted without the app crashing out.

Thanks @Lee D!

Can you also reproduce crashes in the same file when applying masterpages? For example, replacing 4. Footnote - text with 2. Footnote - Subchapter-Text or 3. Footnote - Text-Subchapter (when I want to insert a new chapter) also insta crashes my document. This happens when dragging and dropping these masters over document pages or by right clicking on a page (selection) and use the Apply master... function.

The odd thing with 4. Footnote - text is that it's just two side frames and two linked text frames with the master Layout text applied, so it's one of the simplest masterpages in the document. Does this then have to do with the linked text frames? For example, I believe I have masters 1 applied to 2 and 3, detached them to remove one of the chapter headers. Not sure that was also the case in the submitted file.

E: I can delete pages that don't have any content in the frames, so if I add new pages, reflow/ relink the text frames to the new pages so the old pages are emptied, deleting never crashes the app.