You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Click & hold on the other text tool's icon. This works the same way as the shapes & Move/Artboard tools.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

or: double click on the artistic text tool icon … / click on the small triangle … and select the frame tool

easiest: press the T key twice

Alternatives: Customise the tools for your needs; convert a shape to a text frame

there are more ways …

Thanks, Oval! I never realized you could click on the triangle to avoid the click & hold delay.

I do wish the zone of the icon that did that was a bit larger -- on a 27" screen it is a very small target & difficult to hit quickly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Help/hints are incomplete / could be more usable. ((for example: the options for the tools could be displayed in the toolips/status bar)) This is why even professionals are asking here and why we want a reference and overview screen with a short (visual) explanation of the UI.   :)  For beginners things should be explained directly/visually in complex apps. Otherwise you need more and more people to explain again and again.