You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symbol issue

Darner

Came across a strange symbol issue.

When grouping 3 symbols with related design elements, the symbols stacks on top of each other.
When moving entire group with the symbols, it move more then related elements.
When doing cmd + z / cmd + shift + z, it creates bigger and bigger versions of the symbols until the application freezes.

Tried emptying cache, restart, ram reset. Also deleted the symbol and created it all over. Same issue remains.
Using latest MacOs and AD version 2.2.

• Staff

Hi @Darner,

Sorry to see you're having trouble! I'm unable to replicate this in a new document currently, however this may depend on how exactly you have created/synced these Symbol layers, and potentially may be related to Constraints - though I'm unsure if these have been used in your file.

Can you please attach a copy of the document that shows this issue here for me? If you'd like a private upload link for the file, please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks in advance :)

Thanks.
Uploaded. Extracted the part of the design that behaved strange.

Might have found a workaround while waiting for the link, but still very strange.

First try to group the three lower buttons.
Then go outline cmd + y, select all layers except the big background square, then hit group.
You'l probably see the lower buttons behave strange.
Even stranger, when grouping same layers without outline mode (as there is a lot of overlapping layers in the actual design), it seems to work better.

Either way, perhaps worth having a look at.

• Staff

Thanks for your file provided and my apologies for the delay here!

I can confirm there are 2 things happening in this file from the recording you've provided - firstly the reason you're seeing this in the Wireframe view mode is that when creating a selection in the view mode, the application selects the Objects within your Groups layers directly, rather than selecting the Group layers themselves.

When you then Group this selection, the objects within the Groups of the Symbol layers are 'pulled' from the Symbol layers into this new Group. This is technically expected behaviour when you've made a direct selection of objects within a Group layer that is a symbol, (that is, it's expected for the objects to change their layer order when grouping with this type of selection, but it's not expected for the layers to move or scale, which I've covered below separately), however I can certainly understand why this would appear unexpected based on the type of selection made whilst in the Wireframe view mode and therefore I'm logging this as an improvement request with our team to make considerations as to how the app should behave when making selections of Symbol objects in the Wireframe view mode. The below recording shows the difference the Layer selection makes when Grouping these layers -

Secondly, based the knowledge above, the issue shown in your recording when you select the objects and group them, causing them to move or scale unexpectedly can be replicated outside of the Wireframe view modeprovided you manually select the layers within the symbol first

This is a bug that I can't personally explain at this time, as there's no obvious constraints etc applied to the objects and therefore I will be logging as such with our development team, to be resolved in a future update.

I hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for your file provided and my apologies for the delay here!

I can confirm there are 2 things happening in this file from the recording you've provided - firstly the reason you're seeing this in the Wireframe view mode is that when creating a selection in the view mode, the application selects the Objects within your Groups layers directly, rather than selecting the Group layers themselves.

When you then Group this selection, the objects within the Groups of the Symbol layers are 'pulled' from the Symbol layers into this new Group. This is technically expected behaviour when you've made a direct selection of objects within a Group layer that is a symbol, (that is, it's expected for the objects to change their layer order when grouping with this type of selection, but it's not expected for the layers to move or scale, which I've covered below separately), however I can certainly understand why this would appear unexpected based on the type of selection made whilst in the Wireframe view mode and therefore I'm logging this as an improvement request with our team to make considerations as to how the app should behave when making selections of Symbol objects in the Wireframe view mode. The below recording shows the difference the Layer selection makes when Grouping these layers -

Secondly, based the knowledge above, the issue shown in your recording when you select the objects and group them, causing them to move or scale unexpectedly can be replicated outside of the Wireframe view modeprovided you manually select the layers within the symbol first

This is a bug that I can't personally explain at this time, as there's no obvious constraints etc applied to the objects and therefore I will be logging as such with our development team, to be resolved in a future update.

I hope this helps!

Appreciate you've taken the time to look into it and to elaborate.