You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to export slices with layer effects and adjustment layer

Hi everyone,

I'm learning Affinity Designer on the trial version as I'm looking for an illustrator replacement, and I have a question regarding exporting.

I have an adjustment layer at the top of the layer hierarchy as well as layer effects applying to the group encompassing all layers.

I would like to export slices with both the adjustment layer and layer effects applied to each slice.

What would be the best way to do this while maintaining flexibility?

I searched for this problem online so I know it has been asked before, but there was no answer apart from this:

'Apply the adjustment layer and layer effects to each group seperately'.

I would like to avoid this however, since it would cost a lot of time to make an adjustment afterwards.

What would be your workflow to tackle this problem?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, nosey_gamedev said:

What would be your workflow to tackle this problem?

Using the Slice tool and build slices out of custom selected areas, which do then contain all that what I want those to have applied.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Using the Slice tool and build slices out of custom selected areas, which do then contain all that what I want those to have applied.

This will not work as the adjustments are not exported per slice but it will with the normal export option for the whole document.

13 hours ago, nosey_gamedev said:

'Apply the adjustment layer and layer effects to each group seperately'.

Here you can use symbols to apply it to multiple objects but only edit 1 instance.

SymbolsAdjustments.afdesign

24 minutes ago, Return said:

This will not work as the adjustments is not exported per slice but it will with the normal export option for the whole document.

Here you can use symbols to apply it to multiple objects but only edit 1 instance.

SymbolsAdjustments.afdesign 18.05 MB · 0 downloads

This looks like a powerful feature that will come in handy quite often, thank you!

Any chance you could show an example with a recolor adjustment layer that applies to a group of vectors instead of an image? I'm still struggling with the small differences  in workflow between Designer and Illustrator when it comes to applying adjustment layers to a set of layers..

1 hour ago, Return said:

This will not work as the adjustments is not exported per slice but it will with the normal export option for the whole document.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

@v_kyr
The child adjustment will work.
But the question was multiple layers with one single adjustment above all layers, this will not work.
The point was to adjust just this one adjustment to reflect all layers underneath without resorting to duplicating the adjustment layer as child to these multiple layers and to edit every single child adjustment layer in the process. 

1 hour ago, Return said:

but it will with the normal export option for the whole document.

Like I said it will work for the whole document.(slice)
Now try to export a slice created from layer for the left rectangle and one for the right rectangle.
You will see that a single adjustment above the layers/slices will not export.

15 minutes ago, Return said:

Ok manual created slices will work

That's what I told from the beginnings above and what the OP should do!

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

That's what I told from the beginnings above and what the OP should do!

That's not as precise as from layer, the issue with the blurring and wrong sized export may occur here.
It would be best that either adjustments are applied or that manual creating slices are able to snap to the objects and/or guides.

8 minutes ago, Return said:

That's not as precise as from layer, the issue with the blurring and wrong sized export may occur here. ...

May or may not, personally never had any problems with that here.

11 minutes ago, Return said:

It would be best that either adjustments are applied or that manual creating slices are able to snap to the objects and/or guides.

That would be fine, but actually it will be probably more like "waiting for Godot", as we already know that such things priority wise won't happen here in near future.

13 hours ago, Return said:

Tried but it didn't work as I thought it would.

Right? The shape disappears as soon as I create a symbol of the adjustment layer. It's weird and I have no explanation for it since it works with images, and it almost feels like unintentional behaviour.

12 hours ago, Return said:

That's not as precise as from layer, the issue with the blurring and wrong sized export may occur here.

As @v_kyr mentioned that would indeed be a solution, but it is not for me. Because I import every slice in an animation program afterwards, the size and positioning of these slices is essential and this is lost when I do it manually.

12 hours ago, v_kyr said:

May or may not, personally never had any problems with that here.

That would be fine, but actually it will be probably more like "waiting for Godot", as we already know that such things priority wise won't happen here in near future.

That's a bummer.. I have still not found a solution for my use case and since the both of you appear to have a lot of experience with the software, as of now "waiting for Godot" seems to be the only option I have..

To me, there should be no difference in the end result between manually creating slices and auto creating them, but there is, and from looking at older posts on the forum this is listed as 'intended behaviour'. I strongly disagree with this because from a user experience point it make no sense, but I'm not sure where to go from here at this point.