You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Bleed + Margins are showing double their true size

Hey Affinity Designer aficionados! Hoping to get some help here as this issue is driving me nutso today! I'm trying to setup a 2"x3.5" print file with 0.125" Bleed. The issue that I am running into is that both the Bleed and the Margins are showing twice their size when displayed. When I create a rectangle of 2.125"x3.625" to account for the 0.125" Bleed, the dimensions do not match as shown in attachments. Can anyone advise what the issue is and or how to resolve this? Many thanks in advance for taking the time to look into this.

Affinity Designer Bleed Issue.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 12.06.14 PM.png

Hang Tag Designs - Bleed + Margin Issue.afdesign

How did you figure the size of your square labeled "actual dimensions of 2x3.5 with .125 bleed"? And why didn't you include that in the file you provided?

When I open your file, the Artboard Ebony and Ivory is the right size. (It helps to show the Rulers to see that.)

On the other hand, the item on the right, the image layer named 3.5X2-V is the wrong size. It only includes about 1/2 of the bleed.

image.png.5d3b171480287c573c715da1f4deb263.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, copernicuscalled said:

When I create a rectangle of 2.125"x3.625" to account for the 0.125" Bleed, ...

Make your "rectangle" the size of the finished product.

If you want 2 x 3 1/2 for the finished size then make that size. The bleed is added to that so you'll have a paper size of 2 1/4 x 3 3/4 that gets 1/8 trimmed off of the left, top, right, and bottom to give you your page size of 2 x 3 1/2.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

How did you figure the size of your square labeled "actual dimensions of 2x3.5 with .125 bleed"? And why didn't you include that in the file you provided?

When I open your file, the Artboard Ebony and Ivory is the right size. (It helps to show the Rulers to see that.)

On the other hand, the item on the right, the image layer named 3.5X2-V is the wrong size. It only includes about 1/2 of the bleed.

image.png.5d3b171480287c573c715da1f4deb263.png

Hi. Thank you for the reply. Yes, the Artboard is the correct size. I figured the size of my rectangle labeled "actual dimensions of 2x3.5 with .125 bleed" by entering the values of 2.125" and 3.525" in their respective Transform field - which are the dimensions of the black rectangle, which I did include with the file i provided - it is the unlabeled black rectangle. 

18 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Make your "rectangle" the size of the finished product.

If you want 2 x 3 1/2 for the finished size then make that size. The bleed is added to that so you'll have a paper size of 2 1/4 x 3 3/4 that gets 1/8 trimmed off of the left, top, right, and bottom to give you your page size of 2 x 3 1/2.

Thank you. This solves the issue for me. The printer's final dimensions were throwing me off in my calculations!