You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Photo/Designer 2.2] Smudge tool scrapping off the paint

Hello !

As I use the smudge brush more and more often, I encounter an issue I have since I started using Affinity, 3 years ago. This tools is very unreliable as it tend to scrap off the paint off the layer rather than spread it out when you use a pen.

In the first screenshot, I provided the following, from left to right :
- The brush used for the smudge. Solid round brush with a size jitter at 90%. Settings in the second screenshot.
- The smudge tool used with a pen at high strength (80%) on top, low strength (40%) on bottom.
- The same smudge tool used with my mouse. High strength on top, low strength on bottom. The issue isn't present here.

I use Huion Kamvas Pro 20 and the latest version of Affinity.

I tried the following :

• Different values of flow and strength affect the intensity of the scrapping, but it's still present especially if I apply a high pressure. Strength has way more impact than flow.
  • Using textured brushes somehow lessen the undesirable effect by a lot, it's what I use currently while waiting for a fix but the scrapping is still slightly visible at high strength/high pressure (Third screenshot)
  • Using other solid brushes range from similar to worse. Especially the basic brushes that come by default.
  • Changing the Tablet Input Method or turning on/off the hardware acceleration does not fix the issue.
  • The Force Pressure button does not fix the issue.
  • Did those in Affinity Photo, but Affinity Designer has the same issue.
  • Tried with another drawing software, the issue isn't present.

The issue has been reported before, here, although it's been a while.

Thank you for taking attention to my issue !

Photo_mpXuIZYN8p.png

Photo_hpLxEbw4st.png

NVIDIA_Share_c4YqnBJrvm.png

• 7 months later...