You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame Vanishes in Affinity Publisher 2 for macOS - (2.2.0)

I'm not sure of the protocol here...but I've run into a problem with Publisher and would appreciate any help from anyone. My 'check for updates' feature tells me I'm completely up to date with the latest version, 2.2.0. I'm working on a 20-pg document and gradually importing text. I click on the 'link to a new text frame' icon on the right side of the existing text frame in order to then go to a new page and click and drag again. Every couple of pages, all the guides vanish, including the 'link to anew text frame' icon, so I can no longer click on it and carry the text on to the next page. If I close the document and re-open it, everything works fine again...for about 2 minutes. It's VERY frustrating. Any ideas? This didn't happen until I upgraded to 2.2.

Hi @Mark Gatter and welcome to the forums,

When navigating pages to link your text frames are you by any chance using the scrollbars to do so?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi Hangman, Each (horizontal) page is divided into two, a left and right column. I can fill the left column and then click / drag to fill the right column, and can click and drag again to create a text frame on the left of the next page – which I get to using the scrollbars. Once that frame is created is when the problem arrives. However, while this might point to the scrollbars being a problem, I've tried doing this while other documents are open. And the same thing happens to them, too, even though I've not made any changes to them at all.

Hi @Mark Gatter,

It sounds as though you've hit the scrollbar bug which was why I was keen to understand how you were navigating...

Note: this is also the case when using the Horizontal scrollbar as well. As mentioned in the post a simple page zoom or mouse scroll not using the scrollbars is the temporary workaround while the bug is being fixed...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

41 minutes ago, Mark Gatter said:

I can fill the left column and then click / drag to fill the right column, and can click and drag again to create a text frame on the left of the next page

Depending on your workflow and your intentions, you could consider the possibility to shift-click on the last text-overflow arrow, when you have linked all frames within a page.
This Autoflow feature will create for you new linked pages with the same frame arrangement (or the same Master page if you use them). 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Hi @Mark Gatter,

It's only been logged as a bug in the past few days so currently there is no fix other than a slight zoom in or out or mouse scroll not using the scrollbars.

Hopefully there will be a fix in the next release but I don't know at this stage when that will be I'm afraid. Yes, it's a Mac only bug.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "[MacOS] Redraw issue. Bounding box does not display for new selection after using scroll bar until you force Redraw" (REF: AF-295) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2139".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.