You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crash on book export

I have a book consisting of 9 chapters, 90 pages total. Each chapter/file passes the pre-flight, and I can export each file individually as a pdf. But if I try to export the book as a whole, the export dialog appears briefly, then poof, the dialog and Publisher disappear! 😱 🥵

I exported each one separately, then used other software to merge them into one pdf, but that's not a great workflow.

Publisher 2.1.1

Windows 10, 32G RAM. 

• Staff

@vwatsonWould you be able to try the latest Publisher beta as it's had some improvements in regards to books. If you've not signed up for the beta you can do so here. You can then download and install it alongside your existing version to test with.

When testing, please use copies of your files and retain the originals for backup purposes, just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you export each individual file by itself? I once had a problem where there was one file/chapter in a book that had some issue. I think I ended up creating a new file for that chapter and copy/pasting the content back in and re-adding it to the book file and got it to work.

47 minutes ago, m job said:

I need help in this topic, even in the beta version whem I export a book file the program stop working. I have a 4 chapters book, with several images and can't export the book...

What do you mean by stops working? Does it crash, lock up, or finish without completing the export? If it crashed can you upload a crash report?

I second what vwatson suggested, test the chapters by exporting each chapter individually.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

4 hours ago, MikeTO said:

What do you mean by stops working? Does it crash, lock up, or finish without completing the export? If it crashed can you upload a crash report?

I second what vwatson suggested, test the chapters by exporting each chapter individually.

5 hours ago, vwatson said:

Can you export each individual file by itself? I once had a problem where there was one file/chapter in a book that had some issue. I think I ended up creating a new file for that chapter and copy/pasting the content back in and re-adding it to the book file and got it to work.

I can export individualy. It apear have something with links, whem I disable the opion "include hiperlinks" in the export menu it works, whem I mark this option the program close itself whitout finish the task

1 hour ago, m job said:

Update, just review the links, and still can't export. If I go quickly in the menu and select export selected filles, I can export in beta version. In the corrent version the results is still as the video above.

If the chapter files export correctly on their own then Serif might need to take a look at this. Without seeing the files I could only speculate.

Good luck!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hello,

Same problem for me. Instant crash with 2.2. Individual chapters or merged chapters export works fine. Only exporting book generates instant crash.

Tried with files on a SSD to be sure it's not a timeout problem.

Windows 10, NVidia 2070 GPU. 32 GB RAM.

• 1 month later...