You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anti-aliasing off with text not working?

joe_l

1. Write some text.

2. Give it a white stroke aligned to inside.

3. Force off anti-aliasing for this layer.

4. Export as press-ready PDF.

Result: In the export preview you won't see any problem, but the PDF shows partially some extra lines which will be also printed. Test file attached.

thinner.afpub

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

• Staff

Hi @joe_l,

I've just run this by QA for confirmation but this is expected behaviour, the, the PDF exporter does not include the anti-aliasing setting assigned to vector objects/text so when the PDF is opened in another app the thin outline will still be present. This could be due to coverage/aliasing options not being common to vector objects and other apps/readers would need a way to know/support what option was set within affinity on that vector layer.

2 minutes ago, NathanC said:

but this is expected behaviour

I have no clue about the technical difficulties involved, but don't you think, that the lines have to be not clearly visible AND printable? So in terms of PDF export anti-aliasing is unusable? WHYSINWYG?

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

• Staff
6 minutes ago, joe_l said:

I have no clue about the technical difficulties involved, but don't you think, that the lines have to be not clearly visible AND printable?

The thin lines appear to be a by-product of anti-aliasing to begin with, so while turning it off does remove it within Publisher, the same can't be said in the final PDF due to the previously mentioned reasons. I did look in InDesign for comparison to see how it handles stroke outline aligned to the inside of text but it doesn't look like it even lets you do this as the option to align inside was greyed out.

To add to the complexity, there is also an issue currently logged which is likely playing a part in this, before even turning off anti-aliasing the thin line may be visible in Publisher due to the anti-aliasing coverage map only working based on the stroke alignment, so with the stroke aligned to the inside of the text the anti-aliasing is only affecting the inner side, causing the thin line to appear.

36 minutes ago, joe_l said:

WHYSINWYG?

I think you would have to rasterise the object for this to be the case, if you force AA off to remove the line, group the layer (to avoid another issue) and then rasterise it is no longer visible.