You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Modifier keys not detected when trying to customise keyboard shortcuts

Hi!

So I have been struggling with this a bit. I'm using AD1 on an iMac and the keyboard shortcuts window doesn't detect my modifier keys? 

Then and only then the keys don't work, so I can still use the standard shortcuts that have already been set by default, but when trying to "type in" a desired shortcut, my modifier keys are not being recognised (for instance, pressing Command + V only types V).

Checked keyboard settings, but everything seems okay and my modifier keys are being detected as usual... Any ideas? 

Thanks, 

Ty

Hi @Nica and welcome to the forums.

Which shortcut are you trying to set? note that you can't use modifier keys for certain shortcuts such as tools so pressing Cmd+V would enter just V.

Good luck

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

note that you can't use modifier keys for certain shortcuts such as tools so pressing Cmd+V would enter just V.

Also note that in both V1 & V2 if you hold down a modifier key when trying to set a shortcut for a tool, a red warning triangle appears in the selected shortcut field, indicating modifiers can't be used for tool shortcuts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

Hi @Nica and welcome to the forums.

Which shortcut are you trying to set? note that you can't use modifier keys for certain shortcuts such as tools so pressing Cmd+V would enter just V.

Good luck

Hi,

Thanks for your rapid response! 

I'm trying to set a paste without format as cmmd+v, which I have already deleted from the "paste" command. There was no red warning sign. 

9 minutes ago, Nica said:

I'm trying to set a paste without format as cmmd+v, which I have already deleted from the "paste" command. There was no red warning sign. 

That did work for me in V1, although since I did not delete CMD+V for paste I got the expected yellow warning triangle indicating a conflict. After testing I set it back to the default(?) of CMD+Shift+Option+V.

So are you saying that for you it just enters"V" ... & does that show a conflict with the Move Tool shortcut (default "V")?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, exactly!

I have restarted my Mac hoping it would work but to no avail!

I can't even set it back to default, since none of my modifier keys are detected. After all, would that be a problem with my system / keyboard settings? 

7 minutes ago, Nica said:

After all, would that be a problem with my system / keyboard settings? 

I can't think of any other reason, although you might try resetting the app by starting it with the CTRL key held down ... but be aware that this deletes a lot of preferences & custom settings so backing up everything before doing that is a good idea.

Affinity Photo 

Just to get it out the way, have you by any chance turned on the Ignore Modifier checkbox?  I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I don't think I've ever noticed that until now!  (To cut myself a little slack, I normally use the dark mode, where it doesn't stand out quite so much.)

Doing a quick test with that option enabled seems to provide the experience you've described.  Turning it back off returns it to expected behaviour.

2023-08-28_22-47-10.png.01d1834b255003cfd26fbf41be3a00d0.png

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

6 minutes ago, GaryLearnTech said:

Just to get it out the way, have you by any chance turned on the Ignore Modifier checkbox?  I know that sounds like a dumb question, but I don't think I've ever noticed that until now!  (To cut myself a little slack, I normally use the dark mode, where it doesn't stand out quite so much.)

Doing a quick test with that option enabled seems to provide the experience you've described.  Turning it back off returns it to expected behaviour.

Wow, I've used the shortcuts screen hundreds of times and have never seen that checkbox before. Crazy.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

38 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Wow, I've used the shortcuts screen hundreds of times and have never seen that checkbox before. Crazy.

I've seen it but since I never checked it or could think of any use for it, I just ignored it as a possible probable source of this issue. 

Affinity Photo 

Hi All!

Thank you for all the replies, I left it yesterday but I can now see that you were 100% right!  I genuinely haven't noticed that box! 🥲

To be fair, I use it in dark mode too. All works now. 

Well this is embarrassing. Thank you for all your help and sorry for the bother! 

37 minutes ago, Nica said:

Well this is embarrassing. Thank you for all your help and sorry for the bother! 

I'm sure a lot of us would agree that it's better to have a question that's easily explained like this than, say, an intermittent problem or a bug that we have to wait to be fixed.  I'm pleased we were able to get you sorted in the end.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release