You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to turn silhouette into outline

Hi,

I want to turn a silhouette into an outline. I have managed to outline the silhouette using the QuickFX/Outline tool. Now I want to make the inside of the image transparent or cut it out so I am left with a white outline on transparent background. I have attached the image I am working on to help explain what I want to do. Thank you! /Annika

FemaleSilhouette-1.png

You don't need that FX outline stuff at all here. I assume you already have a vector silhouette (?) (otherwise take and open one of the below attached PDF or SVG files). - If so, then just apply a white stroke of some size and remove the fill color (no fill). - I show it here with a red rectangle in order to make the white stroke better visable. For the white document background get rid of that via "document setup" and enabling/seting up "transparent" there.

The last attached file is "white outlined on a transparent background"!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

You don't need that FX outline stuff at all here. I assume you already have a vector silhouette (?) (otherwise take and open one of the below attached PDF or SVG files). - If so, then just apply a white stroke of some size and remove the fill color (no fill). - I show it here with a red rectangle in order to make the white stroke better visable. For the white document background get rid of that via "document setup" and enabling/seting up "transparent" there.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Hi v_kyr,

Thank you so much, amazing! I really appreciate you help, and that you replied so fast.

Take care! 

10 hours ago, Annika said:

I have managed to outline the silhouette using the QuickFX/Outline tool. Now I want to make the inside of the image transparent or cut it out so I am left with a white outline on transparent background.

In the same dialog that you add the Outline FX there is an option called Fill Opacity (at the bottom), change that to 0%

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, Feelmyself said:

I found Super Vectorizer is very convenient to turn silhouette into vector outline.

It's another way to get real fillable outlines curves here, instead of using plain strokes (single line widths). And if using the Skeletonization option on an initially outline based drawing, one would get a centerline-trace of that, so again a common single line shape form.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2