You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Photo] Macros do not properly record COPY

Affinity Photo 2.1.1

When recording a macro (using image 1):

1. Select > Select All
  2. Edit > Copy
  3. Edit > Paste

When I apply this macro to image 2, step 3 of the macro appears to paste the copy taken from image 1, rather than the copy that should be taken in step 2 from image 2.

Step 2 does not actually appear to be recorded in the Macro studio window. It appears that rather than recording the Copy command, it is recording adding a specific selection to the clipboard.

Yes, this is how macro processing works, in both V1 and V2. It has been discussed many times, and is working as designed, though clearly it could be improved.

Many aspects of macro processing in Photo work this way, remembering/recording results not the actions or inputs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Really? This is intended behavior? Why? There doesn't seem to be a reasonable use case for this—especially considering what is lost by not being able to copy in a macro... or, by saying "working as designed" are you simply pointing out that the design was flawed?

If this has been discussed before, is there a workaround (or a plan to fix this design/implementation flaw)?

4 minutes ago, zorbtrauts said:

or, by saying "working as designed" are you simply pointing out that the design was flawed?

That's one way of looking at it :)

5 minutes ago, zorbtrauts said:

If this has been discussed before, is there a workaround (or a plan to fix this design/implementation flaw)?

No workaround, and I've no idea whether Serif has any plans to fix it.

But one guess would be that they won't fix it. Perhaps the rumored forthcoming support for Scripting will eliminate the need for the macro function completely.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, zorbtrauts said:

If this has been discussed before, is there a workaround

1. Select > Select All
  2. Layer > Duplicate

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.