You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Noise does not export properly with a reduction in size to jpg or png

AD version 2.1.1 on a 2018 27" mac running Ventura.

I used about a 70% noise to produce a texture on the surface of much of my drawing.  I then used AD to export the drawing to a jpg with a 26% reduction in size.  The resulting noise looks terrible.  It looks like the individual dots making up the noise did not get reduced.  I then used AD to export the drawing at 100% size, and did a 26% size reduction in Preview.  The noise looks fine, as it did in the original AD drawing.

I tried doing the export from AD with 26% reduction to a png and the result was the same as to a jpg.

1copy.jpeg.cc7e9f2c355a5a7aa5c050d7d20eaf46.jpegExported from AD 100%, then reduced to 26% in Preview

copy.jpeg.24e11c7bb41e550084db5eb7e6b7d89a.jpegExported with the 26% reduction being done in AD

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Hi @Gear maker,

Thanks for your report!

Just to confirm, are you adding this Noise using the Colour Studio Fill option, or is this added from a Filter/Live Filter layer across the whole document?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 7/17/2023 at 5:24 AM, Dan C said:

Just to confirm, are you adding this Noise using the Colour Studio Fill option, or is this added from a Filter/Live Filter layer across the whole document?

Hi Dan,

I'm using the Color Studio Fill option shown below.

Thanks.

Mike

Screenshot2023-07-18at8_06_59AM.png.7b70ce6120d85fe9e6d1f67503b4a610.png

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Thanks for verifying that for me Mike!

As Colour Noise is a live rendered feature, this is expected behaviour. For example, if you add noise to your colour and continue to zoom into the document, the noise should remain consistently sized, as it is live updated and re-rendered on each zoom.

If you were to resize the document/canvas within the app, rather than when exporting, the same re-render would occur with the noise, keeping it's size and appearance consistent.

However when resizing a document during export, the canvas is no longer being live rendered. Essentially this takes a rasterised version of the canvas, then resizes and resamples it based on your current export settings - for this reason the noise will appear differently than it does at 'full size' within the document.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!