You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2.1.1 Apple Silicon - Inconsistent Filter Effects

Applying the same effects, e.g. Outer Shadow to items placed, is inconsistent between SVGs and PNGs.

In the attached file, the white chess pieces were imported from SVG, the black pieces from PNG sources.  While identical effects were applied to the sets, the results drastically differed.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is this intentional or a bug?

Thank you!

Merida.afdesign

1 hour ago, NM_ said:

... Outer Shadow to items placed, is inconsistent between SVGs and PNGs.

SVGs are vectors and PNGs are in contrast to that pixels/bitmaps. Further when something is placed inside it's an embedded image object. - I would intead either use all as SVG vectors, or as PNG bitmaps, but don't mix them up, in order to get one and the same results here for applied FX effects.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for your post.  I did not explain the underlying problem in my initial post.

The only reason I experimented with mixing PNG and SVG objects was because the Shadow effect was inadequate for the SVGs.  In the example file that I posted, it was not possible to apply any significant shadow effect to the SVG items (white pieces) in the top row.  Having to use PNG objects in a vector editing tool defeats the whole purpose.

Am I doing something wrong with the SVG objects' applied shadow effect?

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, NM_ said:

Can't tell -as I just looked into your file's accompanied thumb preview- since I can't open V2 files with a V1 app here.

However, for me with ADe v1 there's no problem to apply outer FX shadows to SVG vectors. I set those up for one item/object (let's say the white king) and then I Copy that and Paste FX it to all the other chess figures.

chess_svgs_fx.jpg.3cf13f273bc19bd2516ebdcfd6975986.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 hours ago, NM_ said:

The only reason I experimented with mixing PNG and SVG objects was because the Shadow effect was inadequate for the SVGs.

Note that you can type in larger radius and offset px values than can be set with sliders (which stop at 100px).

On 7/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, NM_ said:

Thanks for your post.  I did not explain the underlying problem in my initial post.

The only reason I experimented with mixing PNG and SVG objects was because the Shadow effect was inadequate for the SVGs.  In the example file that I posted, it was not possible to apply any significant shadow effect to the SVG items (white pieces) in the top row.  Having to use PNG objects in a vector editing tool defeats the whole purpose.

Thanks again.

I don't see why you are applying the effects to each and every PNG and SVG. Why not just apply it once to a group of the SVGs and PNGs. The individual SVGs also have no effect layer applied.

ScreenShot2023-07-16at10_21_08AM.png.ca981bbf13a509b249b69294bc5a0012.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you.  Maybe there was something wrong with my selection. I put this file together as a simple example. For then time being, I went back to V1 and started over again without any problems.