You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Liquify Persona and Live Filter Layer with Liquify brush cursor freezing while hovering over the image on a Mac

As stated in the title, whenever opening Liquify Persona or the Live filter layer the cursor freezes on edge of the image and if I hover the brush outside of it it behaves normally. I even downloaded Affinity Photo v2 to test it and it has the same behaviour. I am using MacBook Air M1 with MacOS Vetura 13.4.1 

Anyone encountered similar issue? I’ve also noticed that changing the brush size with the keyboard shortcut makes the cursor appear in the correct spot but only to be frozen again after moving it. I really can’t use the software without the Liquify Persona.

Welcome to the forums @filiptita

If I’m interpreting what I’m seeing correctly, I’ve not seen that happen before.
However, I have a feeling that it may have something to so with Hardware Acceleration or something similar.

Go to the application Settings and try switching Hardware Acceleration OFF in the Performance section.

If that doesn’t make things better try changing the Renderer in that same section to something else.

(Maybe take a screen-grab of that dialog first so you can put things back to how they were before these changes.)

If that doesn’t work can you supply a copy of the image and a screen-grab of the Performance section of the Settings dialog?

Hello GarryP!

Thank you for getting back to me. 
I attached the screenshot of the settings. This happens regardless of the image that I use. I tried changing all the settings you’ve mentioned including the display options, I tested all 4 options from “Software” to “Metal” (I saw someone mention it in another topic related to liquify persona) with the same results of the cursor freezing on the image.

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 19.33.00.png

• Staff
On 7/16/2023 at 7:22 AM, filiptita said:

Anyone encountered similar issue? I’ve also noticed that changing the brush size with the keyboard shortcut makes the cursor appear in the correct spot but only to be frozen again after moving it. I really can’t use the software without the Liquify Persona.

Can't replicate that here on my Macbook.  Which Live Filter Layer are you using?  Can you attach your .afphoto file?

• Staff
36 minutes ago, filiptita said:

I'm just using the trackpad at the moment.

Just switched to my Macbook with a trackpad and i'm still not getting a freeze in the Liquify Persona.

Can you just try fully closing Affinity and starting Affinity from Applications while holding down the Control key and you should get a popup asking if you'd like to clear some data.  3 options will be ticked and you can just click on Clear.  Affinity will then start as normal and if you can try the Liquify Persona again and let me know if you still get a freeze.

• Staff
2 hours ago, filiptita said:

I'm just using the trackpad at the moment.

As you mention trackpad, I take it you are using a MacBook?  Do you also have an external display connected?  If you do, can you try disconnecting that and then see if the Liquify Persona still freezes when using just the MacBook built-in display. 

• Staff
4 minutes ago, filiptita said:

is there anything else I could do?

Do you still get the issue if you go into Preferences of Affinity and on the Performance section, untick 'Enable Metal Compute' and set the Display to Software, close Preferences and you'll be asked to restart Affinity.  Once restarted, try using Liquify Persona again and let me know the results.

I've still not been able to replicate this on my M1 MacBook Air or on my Intel iMac.

That's the first thing I've tried to fix it. Garry P suggested to start with that. I'm going to look if there's some kind of software that might be preventing it or worse case scenario I'll try start with a new copy of the operating system.