You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows 11 APhoto V2 not launching at all

I just bought the summer bundle, and this is on a new Windows 11 machine. I initially installed the MSIX version and that didn't work so I uninstalled and re-installed the EXE version from the website with no success.

By wouldn't work I mean there is no splash screen of anything loading or any logo which appears when you click on the icon to run the application. It simply spins for a second like its loading and then stops.

image.png.288c830e0eacddeda306900c1ade7bff.png

GFX Card: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT

image.png.bdea91f2ac8fa12958b981b082e45a19.pngimage.png.b0a2c91af7d5c4c8a77dafea0232729c.png

I downloaded the OpenCL checker app v1.3 and shows the following:

image.png.26f06179495eee5e2b91fa9fd46c5a0b.png

I also clicked on the "Create any missing performance XML files" also:

-- DISABLING PERFORMANCE SETTINGS IN XML FILES --

Done!

I also attempted to download the tool via the Microsoft Apps Store and still nothing... And also removed it via the commands I found on the forum:

PS C:\Windows\system32> AppxPackage –AllUsers -Name *Affinity*

PS C:\Windows\system32> AppxPackage AllUsers -Name *Affinity*

Name                   : SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2
Publisher              : CN=741E57F4-B601-44AA-8C5D-1C53938DF6CE
Architecture           : X64
ResourceId             : 
Version                : 201.1.1847.0
PackageFullName        : SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_201.1.1847.0_x64__844sdzfcmm7k0
InstallLocation        : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_201.1.1847.0_x64__844sdzfcmm7k0
IsFramework            : False
PackageFamilyName      : SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_844sdzfcmm7k0
PublisherId            : 844sdzfcmm7k0
PackageUserInformation : {S-1-5-21-2778743256-3644303494-760898238-1001 [rborz]: Installed}
IsResourcePackage      : False
IsBundle               : False
IsDevelopmentMode      : False
NonRemovable           : False
Dependencies           : {Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.32530.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe}
IsPartiallyStaged      : False
SignatureKind          : Store
Status                 : Ok

PS C:\Windows\system32> Remove-AppxPackage -Package "SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_201.1.1847.0_x64__844sdzfcmm7k0"

PS C:\Windows\system32> 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by RBorzea

Welcome!

Some possible runtime & crash causes and also troubleshooting are listed in the forums FAQs, see also the entries for other FAQs under "Windows" there ...

Also check whether maybe any crash reports have been written by the Affinity apps, or what the Windows error logs for the faulty execution of APh 2 do list as the cause.

BTW, did the OpenCL checker app listed any V2 app paths too when you scrolled down it's "Console Output" view accordingly (that's a scrollable view and may show more than what is seen in your above screenshot, there's also a "copy to clipboard" button for copying over the whole view contents)?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The Installation itself did not have any errors or issues, it actually stated that it was "installed successfully"...

• Also the Event Viewer shows no logs for the Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational, well at least not for the time when the application was installed at. Plenty of other logs prior to the install...

• No Crash reports from the EXE installer found in:
C:\Users\rborz\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\2.0

Only 1 log found called Log.txt showing the following:

Affinity Photo 2
IsSandboxed: No
AppDataPathForCurrentUser: C:\Users\rborz\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\2.0
AppDataPathForCurrentUserPersisted: C:\Users\rborz\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\2.0

• Here is the OpenCL preview for the V2 search and what is in the folder... Again I clicked on the Create checkbox and refreshed the folder and nothing(Ran it in Admin mode also).

image.png.733d15045d4cc479bada9120eb7e57ce.png

Edited by RBorzea

1 hour ago, RBorzea said:

The Installation itself did not have any errors or issues, it actually stated that it was "installed successfully"...

• Also the Event Viewer shows no logs for the Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeploymentServer/Operational, well at least not for the time when the application was installed at. Plenty of other logs prior to the install...
  • No Crash reports from the EXE installer found in:

Only 1 log found called Log.txt showing the following:

Affinity Photo 2
IsSandboxed: No
AppDataPathForCurrentUser: C:\Users\rborz\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\2.0
AppDataPathForCurrentUserPersisted: C:\Users\rborz\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\2.0

• Here is the OpenCL preview for the V2 search and what is in the folder... Again I clicked on the Create checkbox and refreshed the folder and nothing(Ran it in Admin mode also).

First of all try out what Lee suggested above and what is also told in the above referenced FAQs!

Aka the Clear User Data Method (described here) ...

Other than that, It looks like your install path is ...

... is there some "Settings" subdirectory directory inside, aka ...

C:\Users\rborz\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\2.0\Settings\

?

The OpenCL checker app looked instead for the V2 settings into this path ...

C:\Users\rborz\.affinity\Photo\2.0\Settings\

... and if it doesn't see/find there a preexisting "Settings" directory in your User "...\.affinity\..." home path, it won't create that directory on it's own. - Instead it only creates a "PerformancePreferences.xml" file if there is already such an (pre)existing "Settings" directory available ...

C:\Users\rborz\.affinity\Photo\2.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml

What you can try to do is, create the "Settings" directory on your own under ...

C:\Users\rborz\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\2.0\Settings\

... as far as there is no one and then place a "PerformancePreferences.xml" file yourself into that directory ...

PerformancePreferences.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Settings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xsi:type="Serif.Interop.Persona.Settings.PerformanceSettings">
    <RAMUsageLimit>
        <UnitType>Megabyte</UnitType>
        <Value>8192</Value>
    </RAMUsageLimit>
    <DiskWarningLimit>
        <UnitType>Megabyte</UnitType>
        <Value>32768</Value>
    </DiskWarningLimit>
    <UndoLimit>1024</UndoLimit>
    <ViewQuality>0</ViewQuality>
    <AutoSaveInterval>
        <UnitType>Number</UnitType>
        <Value>300</Value>
    </AutoSaveInterval>
    <UsePerfectClipping>False</UsePerfectClipping>
    <UseDithering>True</UseDithering>
    <RetinaPassIndex>0</RetinaPassIndex>
    <UseHardwareAcceleration>False</UseHardwareAcceleration>
</Settings>

... this way you can check if the startup problems with APh2 are OpenCL hardware acceleration related or not!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

49 minutes ago, Lee D said:

@RBorzea If you hold down the CTRL key and open Affinity Photo V2 an options list will appear, at this point you can release the CTRL key. On this menu is an option to Disable Hardware Acceleration, enable it and click Clear.

I had pressed CTRL and the app still does not load... The application itself will not load at all, no intro screen with the logo or anything. I did as requested but uploan attempting to launch it does not appear to do anything new.

49 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

First of all try out what Lee suggested above and what is also told in the above referenced FAQs!

Other than that, It looks like your install path is ...

... is there some "Settings" subdirectory directory inside, aka ...

?

The OpenCL checker app looked instead for the V2 settings into this path ...

... and if it doesn't see/find there a preexisting "Settings" directory in your User "...\.affinity\..." home path, it won't create that directory on it's own. - Instead it only creates a "PerformancePreferences.xml" file if there is already such an (pre)existing "Settings" directory available ...

What you can try to do is, create the "Settings" directory on your own under ...

... as far as there is no one and then place a "PerformancePreferences.xml" file yourself into that directory ...

PerformancePreferences.xml 760 B · 68 downloads

... this way you can check if the startup problems with APh2 are OpenCL hardware acceleration related or not!

• I have done what Lee had stated but no success.
  • I had also tried to create the "Settings" folder before and to see if it would "Create" that performance file which it didn't.
  • Thank you for providing the Performance file but it still does not launch the application.

image.png.fdd76871d206d64d6c29cddbe6b93d4f.png

Is there any way possible I can have someone remote into my machine and run through all of this? I'm still in disbelief as to how hard this install is going...

I just resolved the issue... So it appears Windows 11 has some Memory/Antimalware tool running in the background for ransomware. I disabled that tool and clicked on the icon again and it launched just fine.

I'll attempt to register Photo 2 and then re-enable the Windows security measure to see if it still launches after later today. I hope that it will still run with the security in place if not this is not looking good OS security wise as there is no way to approve of apps individually...

5 minutes ago, RBorzea said:

I just resolved the issue... So it appears Windows 11 has some Memory/Antimalware tool running in the background for ransomware. I disabled that tool and clicked on the icon again and it launched just fine.

I'll attempt to register Photo 2 and then re-enable the Windows security measure to see if it still launches after later today. I hope that it will still run with the security in place if not this is not looking good OS security wise as there is no way to approve of apps individually...

It appears to work with Windows 11's Core Isolation/Memory Integrity security setting after you license the software etc.

Not sure if Windows or Affinity can streamline that process for the other Windows 11 user so they don't encounter this...