You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm still having major issues with the cursor not changing on mouse-over events, so I'm not sure if this is related or an intentional feature, or just happening to me?

If I've selected a curve/object, with either the move or node tool, switch to colour picker, and then select another curve in the layers panel (whilst remaining in colour picker mode), the selection indicator stays on the previously selected curve/object rather than to any newly selected curves/objects.

Is this an intentional feature?

regards, Ash.

I can confirm this in Designer 2.1.1 on Windows 10.

Selecting a different layer in the Layers Panel, while the Colour Picker Tool on the Tools bar is active, does not make the on-canvas selection change until the mouse pointer moves back to the canvas.

I can see how, with lots of layers, this would make it difficult to know which layer was actually selected before moving the mouse pointer back to the canvas.

I can’t think of a reason why this would be an intentional feature; it looks more like something that has simply been missed.

21 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I can see how, with lots of layers, this would make it difficult to know which layer was actually selected before moving the mouse pointer back to the canvas.

I can’t think of a reason why this would be an intentional feature; it looks more like something that has simply been missed.

Thanks for confirming this isn't just me. And yes, it's rather confusing as your eyes are automatically drawn to the highlighted area then somewhere else changes instead. Although on my Mac I'm finding it doesn't correct itself. Not even when the pointer is returned to the canvas.

Thanks, Ash.

9 minutes ago, Ash Eldritch said:

Although on my Mac I'm finding it doesn't correct itself. Not even when the pointer is returned to the canvas.

On Windows, the selected object on the canvas switches to the layer selected in the Layers Panel only when the mouse pointer is moved back to the canvas, as can be seen in my attached video.

Can you confirm that this doesn’t happen for you on a Mac?

If so, what happens when you move the mouse pointer back to the canvas? Is the originally-selected layer selected, or is there no selected layer, or something else?

For me, when I move the pointer back onto the canvas, unlike your example, the very first object I selected will remain the highlighted item. I can select multiple items thereafter but the highlight won't change. It will remain that way until I switch out of colour picker. Thereupon the highlight will move to the correctly selected object.

Thanks for the extra information.

If this isn’t intentional behaviour then I don’t know if it would be classified as a bug or something for feedback (looks to me like it’s just something which was overlooked in the grand scheme of things).

Hopefully a member of staff will see this and respond, and move the thread if necessary.

• Staff

Thanks for your report @Ash Eldritch & further testing here @GarryP!

I can confirm that I have been able to replicate this issue (as well as platform difference between macOS and Windows) which I have logged with our development team for you now.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!