You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Word wrapping not working, how do I enable it?

For clarity, this question refers to word wrap (text auto-breaking to the next line inside a text frame) and not text wrap (text flowing around an object). 

I have a document where I am making text frames. The text frames, for some reason, suddenly do not support word wrapping (even when I use filler text I get multiple long lines that flow outside the text frame). 

I think word wrap has been disabled somehow but I don't know how. I've disabled all paragraph styles and I can't seem to make it work. This is a pretty crucial feature! Can anyone tell me how to re-enable word wrap? 

Thanks for any tips! :)

EDIT: Solved it! In the Character panel, under Positioning and Transform, the No Break tick box was checked. Untick it, restore word wrap!

This sounds like you may want to use the Automatic Hyphenation and or a Paragraph Justification setting. You most likely want Justified Last Line Left.

Note that I am assuming you are using a Frame Text text frame and not an Art Text text frame. Art Text text frames just give one long line, use a Frame Text text frame.

I am assuming you are using Publisher, but as all three of the applications in the suite offer Text Frames and justifacation of text it would help if you could name the application in question.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I found it! Leaving this here for any others who find themselves in this position:

In the Character panel, under Positioning and Transform, the "No break" checkbox was ticked for some reason. Untick it, restore word wrap!

Note: This lack of word wrap was due to a setting on the characters, not a setting on the text frame. Confusing! 

Thanks again Bruce for your help, I appreciate it!

This is the second time I have been Ninja-ed by an Original Poster. Well done @electrolyte, and a belated "welcome to the forums." For future reference here is what electrolyte is talking about...

In the Character Panel and in the Text Style Panel for Character Styles.

ScreenShot2023-07-04at8_58_04AM.png.2680d383404f5ad0ce0c8daf271e2634.png 

ScreenShot2023-07-04at8_55_05AM.png.0641f82ee4782446504b98f3a5c36346.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 8 months later...