You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Data Merge Layout add bleed at borders but not in between

Hello! I'm trying to print playing cards using data merge layout, (or data merge manager) but I need a bleed around the cards, but not in between the cards, to reduce the amount of time it takes to cut them. This is what I currently have:

image.png.1d92a673b8c9fbb3dfbff1b3e685b7b8.png

Here I'm missing the bleed (3mm) around the 8 cards. I tried adding a black rectangle around all 8 cards for the bleed, but that only works if the page is full, printing 8 cards - the last page rarely has 8 cards however.

I have the same issue designing a single card and then trying to print the generated cards using N-Up. I can either activate bleed for all cards or none. I only need the outline though...

Is there a way to accomplish this in publisher?

Edit: I created this using CSS & HTML, and it shows what I mean/want

image.png.6b0e156a22d7ecf11e5740c5684952e5.png

If it is compatible with your design (like a plain border in your example), why don't you set a bleed for each card and align them so that the bleed of one is superposed on the other's border ?

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Hm that's what I tried, but the data merge tool cuts off anything outside each element. I think what I technically need here is a negative value for the grid gutter of the data merge tool to overlap the cards - but that doesn't seem to possible

[I'm not very tough in using Master pages nor datamerge, so I will only use generic terms and let someone else interpret them in Publisher terms…]

Your problem could perhaps be solved if you had for each new page a "background" with the eight card borders — as in your 2nd capture, but always complete with eight cards so when you cut you have the bleed — and there above the text "layer" with "datamerge fields". 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

Ah thanks - I played around a little with the data merge layout tool. The solution was to create multiple layouts (they share the same data source). So instead of using 1 layout with 4 columns and 1 rows, I created 8 layouts (1 card each), and overlapped them with their bleed. :)

image.thumb.png.6c8a119c254ed385ec7a1fd915106b9f.png

Would this work? Pay attention to the way the Frame Text Text Frame is built, Fill and Stroke and Offsets.

Thing.zip

ScreenShot2023-06-27at8_42_46AM.png.297e79051dbd4bcc1161dda8059cb7c1.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.