You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(BUG?) resize a document (Nearest Neighbor) not work proper

Hello everybody!

Again I have a problem with interpolation known as resample within Affinity Photo, this time with the only means to resize an image using the Nearest Neighbor method, the method called resize document. Document/resize document...

I have a document in 380x61 and I need to rescale to 1200 x 192,6 pixels with resample Nearest Neighbor. Is a pixel art, so I want to be to rescaled in pixel perfect. 
The result is anomaly pixels: image.png.71e697b399af4fe686a5240b701cabdf.png

So I tried to do the same task in another program (Artstudio pro) I don't have the photoshop anymore...
And Vualá!
image.png.b9a996fbf5898ae442803db098d0a932.png

Perfect pixel. Same method Nearest Neighbor and same resize. 

This is a BUG? 

Cheers! 

• Staff

Hi @amoraleite,

Any chance you could provide us with your document so that we can investigate further? If you do not wish to share it publicly I have provided an upload link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/8GAyfmSaA2IJMIzEXNbb

Could you also confirm the following:

- What Operating System and version are you using?

- What app version are you using?

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, NathanC said:

Hi @amoraleite,

Any chance you could provide us with your document so that we can investigate further? If you do not wish to share it publicly I have provided an upload link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/8GAyfmSaA2IJMIzEXNbb

Could you also confirm the following:

- What Operating System and version are you using?

- What app version are you using?

Many thanks!

Hello @NathanC!

You have no idea how happy I am to get your answer. And I can gladly share the document with you. Your action makes me believe I'm investing in the right programs! Sincerely! If you need anything more I'll be here! 

My OS is Mac OS Ventura 13.4
My Affinity Photo is 2.1.1

To see what I said just resize to 1200x192 resample Nearest Neighbor.

My pleasure!

Logo Pixel.afphoto

• Staff

Thanks for following up, looks like you're trying to re-sample an image layer rather than a pixel layer, before you re-size the document, right click the layer > rasterise to convert your image to a pixel layer and then try resizing the document again using 'Nearest Neighbour' and this should retain the hard edges.

Image layers retain all the information on their original colour space, resolution etc. so increasing the size of your document which contains an image layer isn't taking into account the re-sampling method used in the document re-size menu, it's just increasing the size of your placed image layer on your canvas similar to if you were to just drag the image handles to increase the layer's size.

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Layers/layerImage.html

Wow, that was it. Thank you very much. I hadn't noticed.

Without wanting to abuse @NathanC, could you tell me if it would be possible to implement this type of resize feature with Nearest Neighbor in the layers as well? Individually, without that I have to do is in another document? 

Thank you so much! Really! 

• Staff

No problem at all!

48 minutes ago, amoraleite said:

Without wanting to abuse @NathanC, could you tell me if it would be possible to implement this type of resize feature with Nearest Neighbor in the layers as well? Individually, without that I have to do is in another document? 

As far as I'm aware the content always needs to be a pixel layer in order to be affected by re-sampling methods similar to if you wanted to change the colour space of the document, it would need to be converted to a pixel layer via rasterization first since image layers exist to preserve their original image resolution and colour space. 🙂

Sorry, I think I wasn't very clear. I would like to be able to rescale a layer using this type of resampling (Nearest Neighbor) Currently in AP, I can do this for the entire document, but there is no way to do this for layers. I'll give you an example, imagine that I have a pixel art file with many layers, so I just want to resize one layer or another. Without having to open a new document to rescale the layer. 

Thank you again @NathanC

• Staff
2 minutes ago, amoraleite said:

Sorry, I think I wasn't very clear. I would like to be able to rescale a layer using this type of resampling (Nearest Neighbor) Currently in AP, I can do this for the entire document, but there is no way to do this for layers. I'll give you an example, imagine that I have a pixel art file with many layers, so I just want to resize one layer or another. Without having to open a new document to rescale the layer. 

Ahh I'm following you now, I'm not aware of a way to do this on a per layer basis currently as it is a document wide setting, if this is something you would like to see added feel free to make a post over on the feedback forum i've linked below.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feedback-suggestions/